Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Performance Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Ecoboost Performance Parts

Has anyone been able to find aftermarket parts for the ecoboost yet?
Old 03-04-2011, 05:33 PM
2011 SCREW 6.5' EB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not heard of anything, it will take some time for a few trucks to get out and for aftermarket companies to start modding them.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are gonna see a lot of vendors holding off and seeing what the market will bear since Ford will void warranties with mods done to the EcoBoost...It is included in the owners manuals
Old 03-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Retired Sr NCO

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no difference between the ecoboost and other engines as far as warranties are concerned. All mfg's have voided warranties when the could / should.

I think the problem with the EB is that the engine is already tuned to match the power / reliability / longevity curve.

Hell it is a 213 cubic inch engine putting out 365 hp and 420 tq. How much more do you want?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Originally Posted by TX Hoon
There is no difference between the ecoboost and other engines as far as warranties are concerned. All mfg's have voided warranties when the could / should.

I think the problem with the EB is that the engine is already tuned to match the power / reliability / longevity curve.

Hell it is a 213 cubic inch engine putting out 365 hp and 420 tq. How much more do you want?
Considering there is a TSB already out on it and the 6.7 diesel in the Superduty.....and I read it in another post here that was copied off of Oasis in fmcdealer regarding this.

Ford has made it pretty clear that the EcoBoost is already maxxed out for reliability....can it make more power...Yes,can it do it reliably...maybe but not on Ford's watch
Old 03-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Retired Sr NCO

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djquik1
Considering there is a TSB already out on it and the 6.7 diesel in the Superduty.....and I read it in another post here that was copied off of Oasis in fmcdealer regarding this.

Ford has made it pretty clear that the EcoBoost is already maxxed out for reliability....can it make more power...Yes,can it do it reliably...maybe but not on Ford's watch

Indeed.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

I kinda thought it odd that the EB was rated 5hp higher then the 5.0 and figured they were probably underrating the 5.0 to make it easier to push the EB. I suspect if they could have gotten more out of the EB they probably would have. If the EB is that close to the edge already, its probably too close for my taste.

We know the 5.0 is rated for more hp in the mustang, the argument that its tuned for more low end tq (truck tune) would make more sense to me if it were only a little lower but I'm not convinced. I think they tweaked it down to be less than the EB so they could sell more EB's (and I suspect the extra power shouldnt be too difficult to find...but it wont be found by me, I'm happy right where I am).

What I cant figure is why they are even offering the 5.0 (dont get me wrong, I'm glad they did). Would have been one hell of a statement to offer the 3.7, the EB and the 6.2.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Originally Posted by 11screw50
I kinda thought it odd that the EB was rated 5hp higher then the 5.0 and figured they were probably underrating the 5.0 to make it easier to push the EB. I suspect if they could have gotten more out of the EB they probably would have. If the EB is that close to the edge already, its probably too close for my taste.

We know the 5.0 is rated for more hp in the mustang, the argument that its tuned for more low end tq (truck tune) would make more sense to me if it were only a little lower but I'm not convinced. I think they tweaked it down to be less than the EB so they could sell more EB's (and I suspect the extra power shouldnt be too difficult to find...but it wont be found by me, I'm happy right where I am).

What I cant figure is why they are even offering the 5.0 (dont get me wrong, I'm glad they did). Would have been one hell of a statement to offer the 3.7, the EB and the 6.2.

Fuel economy for the V8 line and CAFE standards. The 6.2 is a fuel hog. Plus how many old school customers are gonna shy away from the Ecoboost?

No reason to alienate half of your clientele
Old 03-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Ford/Mazda Parts guy

Now back on the EcoBoost and mods, it is pretty common knowledge that the DISI 2.3 turbo engine in the Mazdaspeed 6 and 3 were the test bed for Ecoboost engines. Part of the reason the had encrypted and very tough to hack ECU's. If you spent anytime on the Mazda forums....well making big power on those cars proved to make some interesting explosions. I think the most made without catastrophic failure was in the ballpark of 400whp. The 2.3 was rated at 274bhp in factory trim.

Now if someone wants to make big power on a EcoBoost.....here are my suggestions.
You will need Full access to the ECU

Get someone that does Volkswagon Direct injection pumps to beef up internals to the injector pump....Remember the injectors have a line pressure over 2000 psi

Custom Forged pistons lowering the top ring down further than the stock piston, and lowering the compression a full point.
Port and Polish the heads, Sheet Metal custom intake. ARP studs throughout the block, the block is beefy enough for 1600whp since it is just as strong as the 3.0 Duratec and the Noble guys are making big power on them.
Connecting Rods should be upgraded to Pauter Units.

upgrade the intercooler,the turbos and the piping to support the power levels desired.

Cost for a project like this $20-$30k easy, unless you own a machine and fabrication shop.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djquik1
Now back on the EcoBoost and mods, it is pretty common knowledge that the DISI 2.3 turbo engine in the Mazdaspeed 6 and 3 were the test bed for Ecoboost engines. Part of the reason the had encrypted and very tough to hack ECU's. If you spent anytime on the Mazda forums....well making big power on those cars proved to make some interesting explosions. I think the most made without catastrophic failure was in the ballpark of 400whp. The 2.3 was rated at 274bhp in factory trim.

Now if someone wants to make big power on a EcoBoost.....here are my suggestions.
You will need Full access to the ECU

Get someone that does Volkswagon Direct injection pumps to beef up internals to the injector pump....Remember the injectors have a line pressure over 2000 psi

Custom Forged pistons lowering the top ring down further than the stock piston, and lowering the compression a full point.
Port and Polish the heads, Sheet Metal custom intake. ARP studs throughout the block, the block is beefy enough for 1600whp since it is just as strong as the 3.0 Duratec and the Noble guys are making big power on them.
Connecting Rods should be upgraded to Pauter Units.

upgrade the intercooler,the turbos and the piping to support the power levels desired.

Cost for a project like this $20-$30k easy, unless you own a machine and fabrication shop.
And what could you do to a 5.0 if you dropped that kind of cash on it? 20-30k gets out of the realm of reality...
The following users liked this post:
beckett1911 (10-19-2012)

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Performance Parts