Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost overheating

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ecoboost overheating

Have a 2011 ecoboost with 3.73 rears and 100,000 miles. It's been overheating. First noticed it last summer pulling utility trailer and utv. It will overheat at full throttle without pulling anything. I have a 5* 93 perf tow tune on it but it does it when it's returned to stock, just not as fast. Doesn't really matter the outside temp either. It was sitting in driveway idling with a/c off in 30 deg. Temp for ten minutes and the fans come on high and temp gauge starts going to hot, give it some gas and it cools down and fans go off. I run 93 octane all the time. Also the fans come on high when driving and shut off as soon as I start slowing down. It's out of warranty and closest dealer is 35 miles away. I have a mechanic that works on my vehicles so was wondering if anyone's had similar problems and what fixed it. I've replaced thermostat. Thanks
Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 AM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

It could be anything from a clogged radiator to a bad water pump, and everything in between. 100k is about the time a good cooling system check should be done. I would do everything from pressure test the system to check for bearing play on the water pump. Do the usual checks too, like feel the top and bottom radiator hoses for temperature difference. Cooling systems are easy, but time consuming to diagnosis. Was your new thermostat a Motorcraft one?
Old 02-03-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had radiator pulled out and cleaned. The thermostat is motorcraft 188 deg. I did have the fan issue checked out at ford dealer and they pulled freon and put correct amount in. I'm assuming they did pressure test but not sure.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:05 AM

Received 132 Likes on 79 Posts

I would guess that it by revving it up cools it back down then a water pump.
The following users liked this post:
bk117wrench (12-25-2020)
Old 02-04-2015, 02:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would also suspect a bad water pump.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:24 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

My 2013 does this also. If you really lay into the throttle it will over heat and push out of degas bottle. I hope water pump is solution I've only got 63,000 miles on the ole girl.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Did you confirm the t-stat is working properly? Its possible that its not fully opening and blocking flow to the radiator/recirculating back through the engine. It sounds like a coolant flow issue since your fans are running, your radiator was cleaned, and when you rev the engine when parked it cools it down(low load, increased rpm=increased flow)
Old 03-02-2016, 06:12 AM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I have replaced degas bottle, did the pegasus hose fix and a new 170* thermostat. Also new coolant. I hope it's the water pump. The dealership was awful the last time I took the truck in. I figure it's cheaper for me to throw parts at it.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ ecoboost clark - Did you ever change your water pump and if so did it fix your over heating issue?
I have a 2011 ecoboost max tow with 106000 miles. I was towing a 6500 lbs trailer up a long steep grade (Parleys Canyon, Utah) and 3/4th the way up i noticed my temp gauge rising fairly quickly. It went into the red and i pulled off the side of the road. As soon as I let off the gas the temp gauge quickly starting going back down. I was able to let it cool (took a couple of minutes) and get back on my way. I slowed my speed to 55 mph where i was pulling it at 65 mph when it got hot. The temp did start to rise even at the slower speed but was was able to get me to the top where it was a long down hill grade there after. The outside temp was in the upper 80's. This is the first time i pulled a trailer with the truck as i have only owned it for a few months. I'm told that the turbos get extremely hot when under extended boost but isn't that what the inter coolers are for?

I was going to change the thermostat to a 170 deg. and have the radiator flushed to see if it helps any. after reading this thread I am wondering now if the water pump is going out on it as well.
The following users liked this post:
Deerhunter70 (01-01-2021)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the same situation. 2012 SCREW, 3.73 rear, pulling ~7000 lb trailer. Just had stock t-stat and radiator flush done. Seemed to help some, but I still need to pull grades in second gear at 3500-4000 rpm. The minute I get on it to attempt a shift into 3rd, the temp gauge moved like the speedo, so I back off, and it instantly drops back down. So I have the cooling there at high rpms to a point, but pushing harder just gets it into a heat soak situation. I am considering:

1) Water pump (would like to know if this helped anyone?)
2) FR large radiator
3) Wagner IC
4) Tow tune

Not sure what to attack first. The dealer that did the flush said everything checked out on the vehicle. This was the second dealer to say this to me. So I hope it isn't a "competency" issue with Ford dealers!

Quick Reply: Ecoboost overheating