Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost MPT VS Unleashed Tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Ecoboost MPT VS Unleashed Tune

Hello all!

I have had the MPT tunes for a while now and although they are good, I was not that impressed considering the reviews I had seen. I ran my truck on a dyno with the MPT 91 Street and came out with ~357HP/477TQ which is good. However, I cannot stand the shifting with the MPT tune...

On that note, Mike said that he was looking into some transmission changes for me (stay tuned).

Now, why did I choose Unleashed? First off, Livernoise doesnt support SCT. Next, they are one of the few that are transparent with regular dynos and you can follow updates via Facebook. Not to mention, their latest dyno of their 93 tune hit 379HP and 496TQ. More importantly, the curves are smooth and consistant - climbing until the very end of the gear.

http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com/images//2001.jpg

Now that I was interested in Unleashed, I contacted them via email. No number is provided which initially almost turned me away - BUT REPLIES ARE FAST! I asked questions, paid, and had my tunes within a few hours!

Upon my questions, I asked about boost. I was told that they are at 17PSI while my MPT is at ~20PSI. I had to ask, how on earth does the Unleashed out-perform the MPT with 3 less PSI? The answer I recieved was that the fuel pump cannot keep up with that amount of boost. I liked the fact that he noticed the interdependencies and where the stock components are limited - this is primarily what led me to bite the bullet and spend $199 for the 3-pack of tunes.

I am almost off work and will be installing the 91 Unleashed tune! I will provide an update .

My Truck:
2012 FX4 F150
Ecoboost with Airaid stage 1, 4" AFE exhaust and MPT 91 tune.
3:73 gears

Coming soon: - MPT tune and + Unleashed tune
Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 PM

Bahahahahaha

Ok, I have my update. I will drive around a bit more after the traffic settles too...

I will just start with my on-ramp experience. I straightened out and gave it almost WOT and literally said, and I quote, "What the F****!?... Holy Son of a B*****...."

The difference is night and day. The shifting is AMAZING. Smooth when driving around, but BARKS the tires at shift under WOT. Always in the sweet spot - the thing down-shifts as you slow to a stop constantly perking the RPMs up a little so that you'll boost quicker if you need to stomp on it.

Overall... the tune is just awesome. I am going to drive around a bit more and let the thing calibrate in addition to getting a better feel for the tune.

Any specific questions?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Huge Member

Received 240 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by lanmorga
Bahahahahaha

Ok, I have my update. I will drive around a bit more after the traffic settles too...

I will just start with my on-ramp experience. I straightened out and gave it almost WOT and literally said, and I quote, "What the F****!?... Holy Son of a B*****...."

The difference is night and day. The shifting is AMAZING. Smooth when driving around, but BARKS the tires at shift under WOT. Always in the sweet spot - the thing down-shifts as you slow to a stop constantly perking the RPMs up a little so that you'll boost quicker if you need to stomp on it.

Overall... the tune is just awesome. I am going to drive around a bit more and let the thing calibrate in addition to getting a better feel for the tune.

Any specific questions?
Yes, how long have you worked for Unleashed?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2011LIMITED#288
Yes, how long have you worked for Unleashed?
Your an idiot - if you have nothin productive to say then dont say it at all.

I was so dissappointed with the MPT tune that I was/am excited to get a new tune after forking out $600 for the tuner plus three free tunes. Also, the reviews for MPT make it seem like the tune blows everyone out of the water. Not the case with my experience

I like the unleashed a lot more. The end. Dont like it? Go elsewhere.

I have several posts over the last several weeks dealing with the spark blow-out issue with the MPT tune, posted dynos, etc... Today, I switched to Unleashed.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

My MPT tune has been great. Tranny shifts nice and smooth. Wish it was former but I doubt it will ever be as firm as I want it without a valve body upgrade of some kind.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Centexguy
My MPT tune has been great. Tranny shifts nice and smooth. Wish it was former but I doubt it will ever be as firm as I want it without a valve body upgrade of some kind.
Glad to hear it!

Like I said, Mike is looking into changing up the transmission for me. I am hoping that the update will fix my issues. From what I have read, I dont think the MPT locks up the Torque Converter as much as other custom tunes? I think this is what I felt with the Unleashed. It just feels so responsive and PULLS.

Also, Question:

When I installed the Unleashed onto my Livewire SCT, there was an update for my tuner which I installed. It was a pretty big update. My guess is that it would not affect the tune.... am I guessing wrong?

If the SCT update could affect the tune, then I better go back and re-install my MPT and see how it does!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Huge Member

Your an idiot - if you have nothin productive to say then dont say it at all.

I was so dissappointed with the MPT tune that I was/am excited to get a new tune after forking out $600 for the tuner plus three free tunes. Also, the reviews for MPT make it seem like the tune blows everyone out of the water. Not the case with my experience

I like the unleashed a lot more. The end. Dont like it? Go elsewhere.

I have several posts over the last several weeks dealing with the spark blow-out issue with the MPT tune, posted dynos, etc... Today, I switched to Unleashed.
What I said was funnier.

Last edited by 2011LIMITED#288; 03-15-2013 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Leadsled124 (04-04-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 PM

What I said was funnier.
Odd... I didnt laugh... and I have a pretty good sense of humor
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Huge Member

Odd... I didnt laugh... and I have a pretty good sense of humor
Ya, I see that.You cried instead...Shall I call the whaaambulance? Or are you over your tantrum now?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 PM

Ya, I see that.You cried instead...Shall I call the whaaambulance? Or are you over your tantrum now?
Yup

I am posting my personal opinion about a tune/tuner that I spent $600 on and didnt like - thats a big chunk of money. Also, trying to help out the company whos tune I DID like because it is flat out awesome and they deserve the recognition. Your comment makes others question the source (me).

It pisses me off when childish comments can affect the livelyhood of a company/person that deserves possitive recognition.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost MPT VS Unleashed Tune