Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecoboost Mileage

Don't want to rag on the mileage of the EB yet, but thus far I am not impressed. Two observations:

Earlier this morning I was on the highway at 70 mph. Little if any windspeed. My Fuel Economy read 17.8 mpg consistently. Not great.

Each time I fill up I reset my Trip B. This morning I put 20 gallons in the tank. When I filled up my Trip B avg mpg read 18.0. However, when I divided the total miles I'd driven by the 20+ gallons I'd just purchased, I got an avg of 16.47. What the hell!?

I have a Screw with a 5.5 bed w/1194 miles on her. I'm hoping that after a break-in period this will improve. Any thoughts? Oh, I buy 87 octane.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Wind will kill these trucks mileage. They are like big sails.

The optimum mileage scenario is 65mph with a tailwind! haha

buying higher octane gas may help improve the performance and efficiency as well.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

To be honest, you need to run thru about 10 tanks of fuel to calculate a true mpg number. You can vary how "full" you get it each time and that makes a big difference in mpg calculations. Once you divide the variances by "10 fillups" they will become negligible.

I use http://www.gassavers.org to track mileage. You just sign up and open a garage. It is a "hypermile" forum and has some incredible results by some people.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 3200 miles on my ecoboost screw with 3.15 running 87 octane and I consistently am getting 20mpgs around town and between 23-25 on the highway. That is highway trips of about 30 miles on a pretty hilly road. I think once I get out on the flat interstate in about 2 weeks when I go to the beach I could see 26-27mpgs. All of this is according to the truck's computer. The first couple thousand miles I was averaging around 17-18 city and 20-21 hwy so it definitely gets better after getting broke in.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster Cogburn
Don't want to rag on the mileage of the EB yet, but thus far I am not impressed. Two observations:

Earlier this morning I was on the highway at 70 mph. Little if any windspeed. My Fuel Economy read 17.8 mpg consistently. Not great.

Each time I fill up I reset my Trip B. This morning I put 20 gallons in the tank. When I filled up my Trip B avg mpg read 18.0. However, when I divided the total miles I'd driven by the 20+ gallons I'd just purchased, I got an avg of 16.47. What the hell!?

I have a Screw with a 5.5 bed w/1194 miles on her. I'm hoping that after a break-in period this will improve. Any thoughts? Oh, I buy 87 octane.
Mostly from a couple of friends that have them I'd say your right in the ballpark. It should free up some with some miles though but I wouldnt hold your breath for much more. I hope you didnt buy it listening to some of the on here claiming unheard of mileage. Theres going to be a good difference in a 4X2 with tall gears compared to a 4X4 with shorter gears. From the looks of it your truck looks like a 4X4 probably 3.55 or 3.73's. Id say get used to what your getting, nice truck though. Also you'll find the computer to be pretty acurate, not enough difference to worry about either way.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by reward69
Mostly from a couple of friends that have them I'd say your right in the ballpark. It should free up some with some miles though but I wouldnt hold your breath for much more. I hope you didnt buy it listening to some of the on here claiming unheard of mileage. Theres going to be a good difference in a 4X2 with tall gears compared to a 4X4 with shorter gears. From the looks of it your truck looks like a 4X4 probably 3.55 or 3.73's. Id say get used to what your getting, nice truck though. Also you'll find the computer to be pretty acurate, not enough difference to worry about either way.

I agree a lot of the numbers ppl claim on here are either 2wd, with 3.15 axles and they drive like a grandpa. thats no way to enjoy the truck
Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I didn't purchase the EB to get out of this world mileage even though it does get better mileage then the V6 Toyota Tacoma it replaced. I wanted to get back in a full size truck and liked the EB after a test drive.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
I didn't purchase the EB to get out of this world mileage even though it does get better mileage then the V6 Toyota Tacoma it replaced. I wanted to get back in a full size truck and liked the EB after a test drive.
Same, didn't buy the EB bc of fuel mileage, bought it bc its twin turbo'd and puts down some great power, with room to grow, im a pedal to the metal guy.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 PM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

My FX4 EB gets better mileage than the '05 base model regular cab, short wheelbase, 5 speed, 4.3 V6 Chevy I drove for 60k miles. That truck didn't have a single option on it: air, crank windows and AM/FM radio were all standard and that was all it had. Light as the truck was and, even with a manual transmission, it was a stone.

Go figure, 3-4 more mpg than the Chevy and it was weighs almost 3 tons and, my FX4 will F L Y!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Unofficial Glass Guru

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by blackknight87
I agree a lot of the numbers ppl claim on here are either 2wd, with 3.15 axles and they drive like a grandpa. thats no way to enjoy the truck
thats how i ordered my fx2 Scab... looking to get the most mpg as possible!

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Mileage