Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost knocking/bogging problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Ecoboost knocking/bogging problem

I took ownership of my 2011 ecoboost screw lariat yesterday at 8pm. I then had to drive it 450km to work. I was varying my speed and RPM constantly throughout the trip, and never got into the throttle more than 4000 rpm. So 400km into my trip I "rolled" into the throttle to pull out and pass a vehicle and the engine started knocking and bogging and the check engine light started flashing. I immediately pulled over and shut the engine off. After waiting a few minutes I started the truck, all engine warning lights were off, and seemed to be fine. I cautiously limped the truck the rest of the 50 km.

Anybody have similar issues? I have read it could a faulty high pressure fuel pump. I am calling the dealer today.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know on past F150 a flashing check engine light under acceleration normally means a misfire. Now just need to fing out why and on such a new truck.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtMcgirt
I took ownership of my 2011 ecoboost screw lariat yesterday at 8pm. I then had to drive it 450km to work. I was varying my speed and RPM constantly throughout the trip, and never got into the throttle more than 4000 rpm. So 400km into my trip I "rolled" into the throttle to pull out and pass a vehicle and the engine started knocking and bogging and the check engine light started flashing. I immediately pulled over and shut the engine off. After waiting a few minutes I started the truck, all engine warning lights were off, and seemed to be fine. I cautiously limped the truck the rest of the 50 km.

Anybody have similar issues? I have read it could a faulty high pressure fuel pump. I am calling the dealer today.

I had the exact same problem, did you get an answer yet?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Same thing here with about 600miles on the truck. Took it to the dealer and no code was thrown. Mine happened on hard acceleration up a freeway entrance ramp to avoid a collision. Tech said I may have hit the rev limiter. Let us know if you find anything. I was advised by my tech to "drive it like you stole it." I won't be doing that, but it's nice to know you have dealer support.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 PM

update:
Started the truck up and I witnessed the "shutter" others were talking about that was for sure not there yesterday but that smoothed out once the engine warmed up. Took it for a short drive and if I gave it slightly more then 1/4 throttle the knocking starts (seems to be right when the turbos start to spool up), back out of the throttle and it stops. Occurs in every gear. Stopped at Shell and put in 91 octane V-power (0% ethanol) and this did absolutely nothing except cost me $20 extra lol. The tank of gas that was in it was the original tank filled by the dealer (I don't think you can even get E85 in Alberta anyways).

Took it to the local Ford dealership and told them the story, the response I got was "we're booked up till June 16, I can pencil you in then" I responded saying that there wasn't going to be anything left of this engine by then. They somehow opened up a spot for me this Tuesday thank god. I really want to take it back to where I bought it from because I know they will do it right, but I'm too far away. The sales manager hopefully will call me back tomorrow, as I didn't get a call back today (maybe it was his day off)

So ya, pretty disappointed after waiting eagerly for 8 weeks +1 day for my truck to come in. The truck is beautiful and was perfect in every way until this happened.... oh right, SYNC kept on screwing up with my bluetooth connection on my iPhone also. Hopefully I will know more soon.

Current Km's: 520
Days old: 1
2011 Ford Lariat Ecoboost SuperCrew 4x4 5.5 box
White Platinum
Off Road package
Tow package w/tow mirrors
Chrome Package w/20" chome clad wheels (they're growing on me)
Bak Flip tonneau
Sunroof
Nav
backup cam
Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

So sad man. Good luck!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by lumbermill
Same thing here with about 600miles on the truck. Took it to the dealer and no code was thrown. Mine happened on hard acceleration up a freeway entrance ramp to avoid a collision. Tech said I may have hit the rev limiter. Let us know if you find anything. I was advised by my tech to "drive it like you stole it." I won't be doing that, but it's nice to know you have dealer support.
Is your truck continually doing it like mine when the turbos spool, or was it just the one time? I definitely wasn't driving it like i stole it (haven't hit 4000 rpm if that). I had it in manual shift 5th gear at 100km/hr (60mph) and was just rolling on the throttle to pass a vehicle on the highway.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My grandfather's platinum did that last week on our way up to NH. He stepped on it going onto the highway and it bogged down. Ended up being a misfire. Truck ran fine after that and no problems since. I test drove a 5.4 FX4 before i bought my lariat that did the same thing too and when we pulled the code at the dealership it was a cylinder misfire...
Old 05-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by DirtMcgirt
Is your truck continually doing it like mine when the turbos spool, or was it just the one time? I definitely wasn't driving it like i stole it (haven't hit 4000 rpm if that). I had it in manual shift 5th gear at 100km/hr (60mph) and was just rolling on the throttle to pass a vehicle on the highway.
It was just the one time. I really wish yours cleared up like mine did. Hopefully you get it straightened out. Keep us posted.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Dear diary,

Got fed up yesterday and drove the truck 450km back to the dealer in Edmonton. They said that they will call me on Monday. Drove between 100-110km/hr, averaged 19.2 mpg (see photos). Engine continued to knock/stutter when throttle pushed past 1". I stepped on it a little harder once to see if it would clean up and once again went into full "limp mode" where engine light started blinking,was running very rough and had no power and was forced to pull over and turn off. Even with the turbos not spooling up properly, the torque of this engine is impressive... actually was able to pass a few cars.
Attached Thumbnails Ecoboost knocking/bogging problem-19.2mpg.jpg   Ecoboost knocking/bogging problem-19.3mpg.jpg   Ecoboost knocking/bogging problem-truck-shop.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ecoboost knocking/bogging problem