Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost intake sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Race Red '12 XLT SCrew EB

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ecoboost intake sensor?

So just what is it. I know it changed from 11 to 12. I have seen them referred to as MAF and MAP and temp sensor. So what is it?

If the AFE stage 2 can split the air, why isn't a dual filter setup possible? Or is it? Thinking out loud here. So could a backyard mechanic with some piping and joints make a setup that would function without detrimentally affecting engine performance?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:37 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

I looked up the part number on my '11 and it comes up as a MAF sensor, but many others claim it's just IAT. I dunno, but it is possible it is a combo MAF/IAT sensor and they only use the IAT part of it, though that seems like a waste of money.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 AM

If it was a MAF, wouldn't the AFE stage 2 intake mess with the stock tune?

That beast has me wanting to try pulling the harness from the sensor to see if it throws a CEL or affects drivability. Wish I had the stuff to monitor my A/F and such if I do...
Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by EBinMT
... Wish I had the stuff to monitor my A/F and such if I do...
All it takes is a scangauge, but I don't think unplugging it would tell you anything. If it is a MAF, then it would sense an error and revert back to speed-density mode, then correct further with O2's, which brings me to my next point. . .

For the last 10 years or so, automakers have had all the stuff to run engines in MAF and SD modes. It measures air flow with the MAF, then calculates it using SD (mainly IAT, MAP, and rpm are the inputs). The ECU then compares the measured vs calculated airflow and if there is a large discrepancy, triggers a code. It goes on to set the PW, then measures A/F and corrects from there.

I find it odd if Ford went backwards and didn't install a MAF. Typical car engines haven't run on pure speed-density since around 1990. Then again, when Yamaha switched from EFI to Direct Injection on their outboards, they went all the way back to N-Alpha calculations with no O2 feedback. I found that strange, too, that they go to something as advanced as DI but take about 3 steps backwards in the way it calculates fuel required, so who knows...

Mike
Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 AM

Lack of input means I'll probably just pull the trigger on an injen, but I was hoping for some brainstorming here.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ford's MAF sensor also acts as the IAT(on gas engines)
Old 04-24-2012, 03:51 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

It's a temperature sensor. No MAF for EcoBoost vehicles even though Ford lists it as one.

The only late model speed density vehicles I know of are late model Hemi's and EcoBoost vehicles.

Since there is no MAF, you can add any CAI without issues. It also has a wideband that acts quickly, so there are no tune updates needed for CAI or exhaust mods.

The 5.0 has a wideband as well and we've installed headers and exhaust with no tune changes and air/fuel is perfect. They (the 5.0) does however have a MAF, so it does require tuning for most CAI's.

-Rick

Quick Reply: Ecoboost intake sensor?