Ecoboost condensate drain hole, post your results here - Page 134 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Ecoboost condensate drain hole, post your results here

Old 01-06-2015, 11:54 PM
  #1331  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 204
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jejeosborne View Post
Why not? It is reversible. If I choose, I could plug it with a very small screw.

I bet you could even plug it with a dab of black silicone caulk and no one would see it.
oldwrench is offline  
Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 AM
  #1332  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 200
Thanked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by oldwrench View Post

I bet you could even plug it with a dab of black silicone caulk and no one would see it.
I doubt anyone would see a tiny screw painted black either. You would have to really want to find even the hole. I can't imagine an instance where if it was found I would be in any trouble with the dealer.
jejeosborne is offline  
Old 01-07-2015, 08:14 AM
  #1333  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
MCDavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: RVA
Posts: 2,072
Thanked 550 Times in 466 Posts
Default

I've read, and read, and read.
I've got a mid-year '13 build EB and I haven't had any shudders, power loss, or hesitation beyond what I'd chock up to as DBW lag, etc. However, I'm very curious about what might be sitting in the bottom of the CAC. Our weather here in VA varies like the wind blows so I've seen it all from rain to humidity to snow to you name it.

So, what's the consensus. 1/32" or 1/16" hole? Further more...should I even? I know it cannot hurt right...might avoid the need for the thing I'm not allowed to mention in this post that costs about $300.
MCDavis is offline  
Old 01-07-2015, 08:24 AM
  #1334  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 200
Thanked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
I've read, and read, and read.
I've got a mid-year '13 build EB and I haven't had any shudders, power loss, or hesitation beyond what I'd chock up to as DBW lag, etc. However, I'm very curious about what might be sitting in the bottom of the CAC. Our weather here in VA varies like the wind blows so I've seen it all from rain to humidity to snow to you name it.

So, what's the consensus. 1/32" or 1/16" hole? Further more...should I even? I know it cannot hurt right...might avoid the need for the thing I'm not allowed to mention in this post that costs about $300.
You can remove the bottom tube easily and use a mirror and flashlight to see what is in there. If you do drill, I recommend a 1/32 hole as the pressure will blow out the water.
jejeosborne is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jejeosborne For This Useful Post:
MCDavis (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 08:26 AM
  #1335  
Senior Member
 
vozaday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,209
Thanked 145 Times in 129 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
I've read, and read, and read.
I've got a mid-year '13 build EB and I haven't had any shudders, power loss, or hesitation beyond what I'd chock up to as DBW lag, etc. However, I'm very curious about what might be sitting in the bottom of the CAC. Our weather here in VA varies like the wind blows so I've seen it all from rain to humidity to snow to you name it.

So, what's the consensus. 1/32" or 1/16" hole? Further more...should I even? I know it cannot hurt right...might avoid the need for the thing I'm not allowed to mention in this post that costs about $300.
Lol, I have the product which must not be mentioned and I want to drill mine just to see. It's to cold to remove the CAC and drain it that way.
vozaday is offline  
Old 01-07-2015, 09:19 AM
  #1336  
Senior Member
 
BucketMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,225
Thanked 378 Times in 271 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
I've read, and read, and read.
I've got a mid-year '13 build EB and I haven't had any shudders, power loss, or hesitation beyond what I'd chock up to as DBW lag, etc. However, I'm very curious about what might be sitting in the bottom of the CAC. Our weather here in VA varies like the wind blows so I've seen it all from rain to humidity to snow to you name it.

So, what's the consensus. 1/32" or 1/16" hole? Further more...should I even? I know it cannot hurt right...might avoid the need for the thing I'm not allowed to mention in this post that costs about $300.
Where at in Va? Im in Roanoke, and have never had the shudder/misfire either. Take a few trips a year to the carolinas in the summer and the Pennsylvania mountains in the winter and never had an issue. I even have the original 2011 CAC with no TSB's applied to it. I do have the hole drilled.

When I drilled mine I decided to remove and clean the CAC so I knew it was totally dry before doing it. There was little to no oil/water in mine. A very tiny bit on some of the connection points, but nothing that I couldnt remove with a finger swipe, certainly nothing like what is shown in the video.

I have never noticed any drip or accumulation around where I drilled the hole, nor anything on my driveway which is paved and would be easily seen.
BucketMan is offline  
Old 01-07-2015, 10:02 AM
  #1337  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 200
Thanked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BucketMan View Post

Where at in Va? Im in Roanoke, and have never had the shudder/misfire either. Take a few trips a year to the carolinas in the summer and the Pennsylvania mountains in the winter and never had an issue. I even have the original 2011 CAC with no TSB's applied to it. I do have the hole drilled.

When I drilled mine I decided to remove and clean the CAC so I knew it was totally dry before doing it. There was little to no oil/water in mine. A very tiny bit on some of the connection points, but nothing that I couldnt remove with a finger swipe, certainly nothing like what is shown in the video.

I have never noticed any drip or accumulation around where I drilled the hole, nor anything on my driveway which is paved and would be easily seen.
My video didn't show any oil either. I was pleasantly surprised to find just clean water. My 2011 is completely original too. Glad to hear yours didn't have oil either.
jejeosborne is offline  
Old 01-07-2015, 10:04 AM
  #1338  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
MCDavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: RVA
Posts: 2,072
Thanked 550 Times in 466 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BucketMan View Post
Where at in Va? Im in Roanoke, and have never had the shudder/misfire either. Take a few trips a year to the carolinas in the summer and the Pennsylvania mountains in the winter and never had an issue. I even have the original 2011 CAC with no TSB's applied to it. I do have the hole drilled.

When I drilled mine I decided to remove and clean the CAC so I knew it was totally dry before doing it. There was little to no oil/water in mine. A very tiny bit on some of the connection points, but nothing that I couldnt remove with a finger swipe, certainly nothing like what is shown in the video.

I have never noticed any drip or accumulation around where I drilled the hole, nor anything on my driveway which is paved and would be easily seen.
A stones throw outside of our Capital's limits here. I've debated the purchase of the item we're not allowed to mention, but I'm thinking that the 1/32" hole might put my mind at rest...and for a lot less money.
MCDavis is offline  
Old 01-07-2015, 11:05 AM
  #1339  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 200
Thanked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post

A stones throw outside of our Capital's limits here. I've debated the purchase of the item we're not allowed to mention, but I'm thinking that the 1/32" hole might put my mind at rest...and for a lot less money.
If the item is a catch can to keep oil out of the intercooler, I would skip that because the intercooler is a good catch can. Is there a pcv dump point downstream the intercooler? If so, intercooler won't help there.
jejeosborne is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jejeosborne For This Useful Post:
MCDavis (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 11:21 AM
  #1340  
Senior Member
 
BucketMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,225
Thanked 378 Times in 271 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jejeosborne View Post
My video didn't show any oil either. I was pleasantly surprised to find just clean water. My 2011 is completely original too. Glad to hear yours didn't have oil either.
Looked like there was a little sheen in the one part of it. Not like it's sludge and what others have posted here.
I feel bad for the folks that got the "updated" CAC's and the re-flash which some have reported a loss of power with. I had a real bad issue with vibration in my truck prior to the misfire problem becoming so popular which completely made me lose faith in Ford and their engineering, which is a term I will use very loosely. Which is why I sat back and watched in regard to this problem.


Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
A stones throw outside of our Capital's limits here. I've debated the purchase of the item we're not allowed to mention, but I'm thinking that the 1/32" hole might put my mind at rest...and for a lot less money.
Wasnt sure if the R was for here or there. Folks, me included, are sick and tired of hearing about the catch can BS, especially in a thread where its specifically discussing another means of accomplishing the same thing. especially when one or more people were clearly here peddling their product instead of offering constructive advice and data, it got annoying is all.

I will gladly keep my $300 in my pocket and feel comfortable and confident with the hole drilled.
BucketMan is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BucketMan For This Useful Post:
MCDavis (01-07-2015)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecoboost condensate drain hole, post your results here


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: