Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Eco engine replaced at 17k

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone had this done? My truck has been in the shop 16 days now, and ford finally is giving me a new long block. Problem is, it MIGHT get here next week if I'm lucky the dealership said. By that time my truck will more than likely be in the shop for over 30 days. If you'd had this done how long did it take? Will my truck now lose value? If you had this done any problems after? Ford will not tell me what was wrong nor would they even let the dealership look at the bottom end. The truck was knocking loud so I took it in motor did not blow or anything.

No performance mods just a UPR catch can.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Just got my 5.0L back after having a short-block engine replacement. As far as the losing value aspect goes, I thought the same thing until I picked it up. It drives so much nicer and sounds so much better and if the tech knows what he's doing, you won't even feel any difference at all after the work is done. In fact I'd venture to say that a long block replacement is easier than a short block since they don't have to transfer anything. My truck feels very solid and I can just about guarantee that nobody would know the difference.

I dropped my truck off on April 13th and picked it up yesterday, rental provided. Most of that time was waiting for the parts to show up. The work itself took about 4 days.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

I just passed the 1K mile mark on my new short block in my 5.0. I feel its slightly more powerful and i feel its trust worthy as far as longevity goes. I now have a restored faith in it. an its quiet as a mouse!
Old 05-05-2015, 10:11 PM

I know there are several ecoboost failures on here, can you guys post up on your replacement?
Old 05-06-2015, 12:13 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

The majority of the ecoboost failures were from guys who had done modifications to the engine and had been hammering the motor.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tothemax
The majority of the ecoboost failures were from guys who had done modifications to the engine and had been hammering the motor.
So you would swear by that statement? I drive like a grandpaw to try and get the MPG ford said they get. Have not been able to get there yet. My life mpg is 16.4.. I had a Denali 4x4 crew GMC that averaged 19.6. It had a 6.2 motor. Ok off my soap box now..
Old 05-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

x2
Old 05-06-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

You are correct that the most recent rash of engines do seem to be from a modification.

But other than that it honestly seems close to a 1:1 ratio. There is a thread on here with a poll for stock or tuned blown engines.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

OP, I'd be thrilled to have a new engine. I don't think you are going to see any adverse affects to value, etc. Now if you blow 3 or 4 engines in that truck like ghost in the machine, might be a different story.

It don't matter tuned or not theres been a lot of stock engines blown.

Spring brings higher humidity and rains...its obvious to me that this latest rash of blown engines is from condensation ingestion. Stock doesn't save you from having it happen...but I think higher boost from tunes could potentially be pushing more water into the engine upon hard acceleration.

That's my theory, because it does seem over the last month or so theres been quite a few people with issues. And I can tell you from running it on my truck, the revised IC and/or block off plates do not stop the condensation from forming. If you drive in the right conditions you WILL have moisture in your IC.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn
x2
I don't care how bad you beat the motor, you should get more than 20K miles lol.

Quick Reply: Eco engine replaced at 17k