Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

EB V6 Horsepower without turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Default EB V6 Horsepower without turbos?

According to Wikipedia the Duratech V6 that is the basis for this engine "The engine produces 285 hp (213 kW) at 6,500 rpm and 253 lb·ft (343 N·m) at 4,000 rpm in the following applications: 2011 to present Ford Edge." The Ford site for the Edge shows these numbers with a 10.8-1 compression ratio. The 3.5 EB has 10.0 compression ratio.

Has anyone seen horsepower and torque figures for the EB engine without the turbos? I'm curious as to how much horsepower the turbos/DI/intercooler add to a normally aspirated 3.5 base F150 engine.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenferg1
According to Wikipedia the Duratech V6 that is the basis for this engine "The engine produces 285 hp (213 kW) at 6,500 rpm and 253 lb·ft (343 N·m) at 4,000 rpm in the following applications: 2011 to present Ford Edge." The Ford site for the Edge shows these numbers with a 10.8-1 compression ratio. The 3.5 EB has 10.0 compression ratio.

Has anyone seen horsepower and torque figures for the EB engine without the turbos? I'm curious as to how much horsepower the turbos/DI/intercooler add to a normally aspirated 3.5 base F150 engine.
It's impossible to quantify, unless you stripped it of everything turbo related and returned it to a "Stock" NA form.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking at other 3.5L motors it most likely produces around 270 hp and 250ft lbs. they most likely had to low compression due to the turbos.

Not sure though how great it would be without those turbos attached. I wouldn't think they used to much of the duratech motor other than block.

Last edited by Kenneth Forbus; 01-04-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This has been discussed before...
Old 01-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 02themax
You know, I did a search with multiple terms. Nothing about this came up, or there were more than 100 threads to search. So, I posted a simple question to hopefully gain a little more knowledge about how much the technology has improved this little engine. I am not an engineer, just someone who is interested in performance and the changes that technology brings to this vehicle.

So I looked at the numbers, posted what I found and posed the question. Now, this may have been discussed several hundred threads ago, earlier this summer, or last year when the engine came out. I didn't find anything. So I posted the question.

There are more than 500,000 EB owners. Some of them are new owners with questions. I know that multiple threads discussing the identical issues can be annoying. But, like I said, I didn't find anything.

If I write like I'm annoyed, it's because I am. Sometimes I think this forum is dominated by self-annoited know-it-alls who simply endure the rest of us even though it annoys the crap out of them. If you fit this profile, get over it. If not then don't post if you do not wish to add something of substance. Simply hit the back button and read something else.

There... I fell better!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:10 AM

Received 1,027 Likes on 734 Posts

Maybe the lazy-asses who like to post "it has been discussed before", could post a link? (speaking in general about that response...)
The problem with searching is people making threads titled "guess what," or using words like shuttering......

I would look at the original question and say, that the turbo engine is a totally different beast. The 3.7 is the closest comparable, as it is the only other RWD duratec, and "approved" for truck duty cycles.

Last edited by isthatahemi; 01-05-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:19 AM

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 02themax
Well that's good, so maybe you can enlighten all of us seeing that you have READ ALL ABOUT THIS BEFORE!!!!! Instead of posting an arrogant comment. I'm just saying.....
Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 AM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenferg1
You know, I did a search with multiple terms. Nothing about this came up, or there were more than 100 threads to search. So, I posted a simple question to hopefully gain a little more knowledge about how much the technology has improved this little engine. I am not an engineer, just someone who is interested in performance and the changes that technology brings to this vehicle.

So I looked at the numbers, posted what I found and posed the question. Now, this may have been discussed several hundred threads ago, earlier this summer, or last year when the engine came out. I didn't find anything. So I posted the question.

There are more than 500,000 EB owners. Some of them are new owners with questions. I know that multiple threads discussing the identical issues can be annoying. But, like I said, I didn't find anything.

If I write like I'm annoyed, it's because I am. Sometimes I think this forum is dominated by self-annoited know-it-alls who simply endure the rest of us even though it annoys the crap out of them. If you fit this profile, get over it. If not then don't post if you do not wish to add something of substance. Simply hit the back button and read something else.

There... I fell better!
Thank you! You have eloquently stated how many folks feel. I got so fed up with those responses that I posted a "How to search the forum" thread and got surprisingly few helpful replies. Seems that it's impossible to search for phrases...only groups of individual words.

Sorry I can't answer your question.

Last edited by mcfarmall; 01-05-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Based on the boost level and hp, it appears to make around 250-260 NA. It has a lower rpm range than the other NA Duratech V6's, which leads me to believe the camshafts give it a lower "truck" rpm range and also less hp.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you can take a quick look at the Taurus. It has the 3.5L in both the normally and ecoboost model. Looked like around 100 horsepower and 100 ft.lbs less torque than the ecoboost model. And the ecoboost version has muck less than the truck version. The compression ratio was only different by a slight bit. 10.3 for the normally verse 10.0 for the ecoboost model. Yes the block etc. is different from the truck block.

Quick Reply: EB V6 Horsepower without turbos?