Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Decisions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Decisions!!!

Ok, I know there have been hundreds of post on 5.0 v.s EB, I am not trying to start another argument. I am looking at buying a new F-150. I had an 03 screw lariat FX4 with the 5.4 and 3:73. Owned it for about 9 years decided I wanted a Jeep Wrangler. Mistake,I never really knew how much I needed a pickup till I got rid of mine. Now I want to buy a new Ford and I am torn. I would love to have the EB but have read and heard so many horror stories about its problems. So I am leaning towards the 5.0. I live in E TN so I have plenty of hills and I do pull heavy loads occasionally. My real question is has anyone in this area experienced problems out of their EB and what kind of major problems have people had out of their 5.0's in general. Thanks for any advice/help.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

You may have had good intentions but questions like this has a tendency to find its own trouble.

IMO, you can't lose either way. They are BOTH great trucks. The fact that both engines have been out now for 3 going on 4 years means less problems. What you need to do is go to the dealer and test drive each one. Don't just go for a short 2 - 3 mile test drive. See if they will let you test drive each one for a full day. I know this can be done because I was offered this choice when I was buying 4 months ago. I think that you will be happy with whatever you choose and you won't regret your choice. I know this probably didn't help but good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

What do you mean by heavy loads? If by heavy you mean anything that would make a Jeep Wrangler or your old Ford struggle then you will be more than fine with either engine in the towing department.

Last edited by Al Kohalic; 11-22-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:06 AM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

It's just luck of the draw if you get a bad one or not, it's that way with any vehicle. Ford does sell more ecoboost engine in the f150 so you are more likely to hear stories about them. I feel the 5.0 is slightly more reliable, it is cheaper, and for me I love the sound and wanted the future possibility to upgrade it. Guess what, I bought the right truck for ME, just look at my signature below and you'll see what I mean.

My brother has an FX4 with the eco has has had zero problems with the engine (the sync unit was replaced under warranty, but that has nothing to do with the engine). He loves it except I about make him cry when he hears mine LMAO. He and his wife drive it is all weather conditions too with no condensation issues.
The following users liked this post:
Oldbutgood (11-23-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 12:14 AM

My Jeep would have trouble pulling my lawn mower, the 35's kill the power. I have pulled close to 9000# plus the trailer with my old Ford and it would always get the job done. However, that was not the main question. I am more worried about the problems people have been having. I have heard a lot about the EB but have not heard much about the 5.0. Has Ford resolved the issues with the EB, has anyone in this area had any troubles with the moisture in the I.C on the EB? And what kind of problems have people had in general with the 5.0.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the ECO-boost my father has the 5.0. I have driven both a lot. Here's my opinion.

If you tow heavy things get the ecoboost. If you care about running low 14 to high 13's in a quarter mile without any mods but a tune, get ECO boost. The truck is very eerie with stock exhaust and intake, it just kind of glides along. Doesn't feel natural. If you're at high altitude +5,000 I'd get ecoboost, turbos rock in bad atmospheric conditions. Also, as the aftermarket figures out what turbos to use, makes high performance exhaust manifolds, and how to tune for them, I think the eco-boost is going to become a real beast and we'll see for 3,000-4,500 dollars in performance parts, trucks getting into the low 12 high 11's. Heck with just meth/nitrous guys are already there on stock turbos. Maintenance will be more expensive and excessive because of the complexity of a twin turbo system. Turbos go out a lot regardless of any type of vehicle. I bet 95% of eco boosts will make it through the warranty, but around 100,000 miles, I bet turbo's start going bad. Plus if you're always on the throttle--in the boost-- the increases pressure/heat in the engine is going to wear it out faster.

If you just throw stuff in the back occasionally and use it as a DD, and tow like once a year. The 5.0 wins, it just has a better throttle feel than the ecoboost. Feels more like what you'd expect of a truck. It is quiet but sounds amazing. Honestly, stock for stock in a straight line, they are almost identical. I think the ecoboost edges it by 1-2 car lengths by 70-80. My father's 5.0 gets better mileage than my ecoboost. For six grand you can purchase a supercharger, it will kill your mileage about 2-3 mpg, but it will have TONS of power. And there are turbo kits coming out soon too!

I've had the condensation issue 3 times, two on the same day. I just let off the throttle, eased back into it and it cleared itself out. After, I changed my intake (AFE stage 2) it hasn't happened at all. My other turbo cars have done this too on wet rainy days, but their ECU recognizes it and smooth applies power or restricts it, till it clears out. Ford's just run till it goes into limp mode due to excessive misfires. Honestly, I didn't even think it was that big of deal, until i joined the forums and saw other people had the same issues on occasion. Plus forums are where everybody posts problems, so it appears that every ecoboost has an issue. The odds of it happening to you with a new ecoboost are very small, and it's really not a big deal if it happens.

Here's the deal, If both trucks were in my drive way configured exactly the same, I'd end up driving the 5.0 more. My heart is with the 5.0 and so I'd drive that one more. It just feels good. But for towing any heavy trailer, or loading 5 fat ladies in the car, The eco isn't going to take as big as a performance hit as the 5.0.

Last edited by 8WOOD; 11-23-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Oldbutgood (11-23-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 04:33 AM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

5.0 = v8
3.5t= new and exciting!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Here we go again!! Knowing there are hundreds of threads discussing and flaming this crap, we still find yet another one started anyway!! Should be a MPG comparison in here as well to make sure it's complete!!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by medicff0879
Here we go again!! Knowing there are hundreds of threads discussing and flaming this crap, we still find yet another one started anyway!! Should be a MPG comparison in here as well to make sure it's complete!!
Seems to me you are the only one to bring up MPG's or want to start an argument. Everyone else so far has posted informative info for someone riding the fence about getting a 5.0 or an EB. If you don't like the topic stay out. Seems pretty simple.
2013FX4RD (11-23-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Imo mpg doesn't mean much. A truck is a truck ! 14 to 18 anywhere in between not highway. Mpg threads and convo are overrated. I have 2wd ecoboost with life time average 16mpg. That's towING, grocery shopping, drag racing and all around driving. I say test drive both trucks and buy the one you like better. I chose ecoboost not even knowing that it was a mid 14 sec truck stock. Not a clue u could tune it and run mid 13s. I bought it because I wanted different than the norm.

Quick Reply: Decisions!!!