Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Data logging other tuners tunes, tweaking, then calling them your own?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Data logging other tuners tunes, tweaking, then calling them your own?

I'm just throwing this out there because I've heard rumors. If say, I data log my livernois tune and send that info to another tuner couldn't they just tweak it a bit, or not at all and then send it out as their own on the SCT? I've wondered this for some time but would there be some sort of copyright infringement if it could be proven? Just spit balling here and looking for opinions.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Joewee3.5
I'm just throwing this out there because I've heard rumors. If say, I data log my livernois tune and send that info to another tuner couldn't they just tweak it a bit, or not at all and then send it out as their own on the SCT? I've wondered this for some time but would there be some sort of copyright infringement if it could be proven? Just spit balling here and looking for opinions.
From what I understand there are things that you can adjust on the mycalibrater that you can't adjust on the sct, for added power. So that should shoot that thought.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

That's funny you bring this up on here. I was approached by a member about 10 days ago to data log my Livernois 93v2 for him on my sct device because I thought maybe he was interested in getting one. I had never done it, so I spent the time downloading the software and asking members questions on how to do it and send it because I'm not very tuner savvy and frankly stupid when it comes to this. They helped me and I did it and sent it him. Well a couple of days go by and this member is now working with a different tuner company trying to build a race tune to be the fastest. Also this company has stated numerous times how there tunes are dialed in and can't get any better, but what do you know they have had numerous tune revisions since I've done this. Sounds a little shady to me but It could be fluke. I guess if you can't do it on your own just cheat and copy somebody else's.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 200 Likes on 137 Posts

I believe that to be true. From what I have been told they can. Most if not all tunes should and prob are encrypted but if they are logging boost timing Knock shift points things of that nature. Then a tuner could just mimic that with his tuning and make adjustments to the tunes they have. I think it is funny that some ppl on this forum not naming any names, have asked for other data logging of the LMS. And buy another companies custom tunes. And then that company which ever it may be has all kinds of updates and new tunes. Not saying that someone just straight up bootlegged another companies tunes. But with data logging you can get key elements of the puzzle and make adjustment to them and make them your. This is what I have been told. And not just by one or 2 companies. Some funny stuff going on here. Everyone trying to take down the Big Dawg LMS!!!! Do your own work don't cheat!!!

Last edited by Boosted Limited; 07-20-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 200 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by cbvet
That's funny you bring this up on here. I was approached by a member about 10 days ago to data log my Livernois 93v2 for him on my sct device because I thought maybe he was interested in getting one. I had never done it, so I spent the time downloading the software and asking members questions on how to do it and send it because I'm not very tuner savvy and frankly stupid when it comes to this. They helped me and I did it and sent it him. Well a couple of days go by and this member is now working with a different tuner company trying to build a race tune to be the fastest. Also this company has stated numerous times how there tunes are dialed in and can't get any better, but what do you know they have had numerous tune revisions since I've done this. Sounds a little shady to me but It could be fluke. I guess if you can't do it on your own just cheat and copy somebody else's.
Hmmm! That is interesting!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by cbvet
Don't be coy, who was it?
Old 07-20-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And so it begins.......
Old 07-20-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Cajun, how's that Socal tune? Does it feel Livernois-esque? Just sayin
Old 07-20-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jcain

Don't be coy, who was it?
I guess it doesn't really matter to keep the name to myself but it was CoreyMS. I may be wrong but it sure seems awful coincidental that all these guys are really raving even more after I've done this for him. Well at least they know why I wasn't happy with my tune from SoCal and why I liked my Livernois better.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Another thread mentioned that the LMS 93V2 had high knock counts and there have been a few revisions to that also. Even LMS says the new V10 is safer as well as faster. It doesn't pay to rest on your laurels in this business.
The following users liked this post:
brucesears (07-21-2013)

Quick Reply: Data logging other tuners tunes, tweaking, then calling them your own?