Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

coldest Ecoboost intake option?

Old 11-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Race Red '12 XLT SCrew EB

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default coldest Ecoboost intake option?

So what would be a better low buck option for performance on an Ecoboost?

1) cold air intake

2) intercooler fan(s)

personally I think an intercooler fan would help more than a CAI.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Fan isn't going to make hardly any different. The only time a fan MIGHT help would be at low speeds and you aren't making enough boost at low speed to need to cool down the intake air anyway. Once you get to about 30mph or maybe a little faster, fans aren't going to be able to outflow the air coming across the intercooler anyway, so they become a crutch at that point.

I've seen dyno tests done in person on high boost and high power Supras and Grand Nationals and IC fans made zero difference in power both on the road and on the dyno. Cool it down at the intake and filter and don't worry about fans. Really not worth it and the hassle to find some, wiring/relays, mounting, etc.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not that familiar with the stock airbox vs aftermarket boxes, but I would suspect the stock air box grabs cooler air than an open style aftermarket box. Open aftermarket boxes typically grab warm engine bay air which isn't a good thing obviously. Where a CAI benefits is the added filter surface area which lowers the air resistance into the turbos. More air, more power. Fans on the intercooler aren't going to do squat. If you are battling a high intake air temp problem such as heavy towing up long grades or hot lapping at a drag strip causing timing to be pulled and heatsoak, you need to look into either meth injection or adding water squirters to the front of the intercooler. Misting water across the intercooler will evacuate heat much faster than air will. A Meth injection system sprayed before the throttle body will greatly reduce the intake charge temp in the same manner.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ice cubes and a ziplock bag........!!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 01:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CRYo2 intercooler sprayer is cheap and efficient
Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Boost Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ you said it! http://www.designengineering.com/pre...er-sprayer-kit
Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Boost Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

and another thing to think about, weather its something like a short ram intake or a true CAI, it doesnt matter bc that air is getting compressed and heated up, and the aftercooler will cool it down. The mazdaspeed guys that I used to deal with always went with the COBB SRIs over the CAI, just get the turbos air and the rest of the system will take care of the temps, and if they dont get a larger cooler, but unlikely unless you use larger turbos

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coldest Ecoboost intake option?