Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Check engine light

I have a 2013 F150 with about 56K miles on it, and while on a trip to Ohio last week, the check engine light came on. Called a Ford dealer and asked if he could get me in to look at it, and he said it would be two weeks as he was backed up. I then asked if he could at least read the codes and let me know if ok to drive or what. He agreed to do that, so in I went.

He found codes P012B and P012D had tripped, and then gave me a printout explanation of the codes. Back at the hotel, I removed the turbocharger intake pressure and temperature sensor, and cleaned it with sensor cleaner. It looked good, not dirty when I removed it, but squirted it anyway. Put things back together and started it up, but the light stayed on.

I then disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes to let it reset, and when I started it up again, the CEL was still there. Next morning, drove home, and after about 30 minutes of running freeway speeds, the CEL went out.

So should I take it in to my local dealer to have them look for the cause, or leave well enough alone.

After replacing the battery cable, I lost my radio. Nada, I get the blank screen, but nothing else. Any suggestions on what to do next?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31...issue-fix.html
Old 07-21-2017, 06:20 AM

Default ???

What are you trying to tell me?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:10 AM

Default Radio

So about a week ago, the radio started playing. Out of the clear blue sky, it came on, presets correct. That didn't last long, because yesterday, it went out again. Not sure why. Same symptoms as before.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on your situation, GM Guy?

This P012B code came up last week on my 2013 Eco-Boost with only 45k miles which I've owned since brand new, so I took it to the stealership. They replaced the MAP sensor at the air filter (N/C under 5 year/60k power-train warranty. But they charged me $184.77 to also replace the pig tail wire connector (Labor $90 + Part $81.96).

Turns out this same part and wire assy was replaced three years ago, (different code P0111) with fully warrantied service. Ford does have a different part number now: BU2Z-14S11-ATA for twice as much (old: FO3U2Z-14S411-SPC $40.17) (sensor itself: FOCV2Z-9F4479-A).

Now tcp2 pointed out a link to a bright fellows troubleshooting (gtstang03), and it maybe turns out to be dirty wire terminals is the true culprit? Dang!

Just a month earlier I did replace the air filter myself. I'm quite careful with my maintenance so removal of the MAP wiring connector to open the air filter box shouldn't have been a factor here. The oil is also always changed by Ford Service, and they open that air box too just to try and charge me big bucks to swap out dirty filters, so it isn't just me pulling that connector.

I'm looking for others who might have experienced any similar situations.

Last edited by dblake78250; 12-26-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:38 AM

Default So far it's good

I have not had any more problems after my initial post back in July 2017. All I did was clean the sensor and disconnected the battery cable. As stated, it took about a half hour or so of driving at freeway speeds, and all of a sudden you realize that the Check Engine light was no longer illuminated.

My radio problems for a while were no radio then radio. It seems to have fixed itself also as I have not had any radio issues in several months.

I am happy.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Well I must eat some crow, my check engine light came on again after a year of trouble free driving.

it was the same fault codes as before. The sensor just after the air filter according to Ford, is the problem as well as the wire harness to it. So I went to my local dealer and asked about buying both of them, and the service manager said to just replace the sensor and clean the connector with electrical cleaner and if that doesn't fix it, then replace the cable. So I did, and am happy to say that after 1200 miles, it is working fine again. Hopefully forever.