Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Can't wait till these MPG threads turn into HP threads....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can't wait till these MPG threads turn into HP threads....

All these MPG threads are pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I get it, trust me, cause it was one of the main selling points for me to this truck. But I guess I've evolved. Ok, so I can get 1 mpg with 93 octane - whipity doo! I'll save that gas for when I get a tune, intake and exhaust.

I guess I'm just waiting for these lame MPG threads to turn into: "How Much HP with Xxxx Intake" or "Dyno Results from xxxx Tune and Exhaust"....

Anyways, this may not be the forum for me, cause it seems like everytime you mention anything along these lines you get guys squawking about the warranty. Look, I'm not some young buck (maybe I am compared to many on here), and I do get the 1 town dealership concept - but honestly, it seems like many of you should have opted for the 5.0, and left the EBTT's up to the "Young Whipper Snappers". Anyways. I'm 33 and love this truck - 2wd, AC Seats, and all.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:00 AM

I don't think I understand the point you're trying to convey. The engine is literally named after it's mileage acclaim; you can't get more straight-forward marketing than that.

I pay $600 a month in fuel at the moment. 2 MPG savings would give me a "free" bottle of 18 year old Glenlivet every month. I'll take it.

I think it's a meaningful and interesting discussion. I'm not a huge truck guy. I'm a boat guy. The truck serves a purpose for me, nothing more. For guys like me, the mileage calculations are of utmost interest.

Sorry you don't feel that way.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by begone
All these MPG threads are pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I get it, trust me, cause it was one of the main selling points for me to this truck. But I guess I've evolved. Ok, so I can get 1 mpg with 93 octane - whipity doo! I'll save that gas for when I get a tune, intake and exhaust.

I guess I'm just waiting for these lame MPG threads to turn into: "How Much HP with Xxxx Intake" or "Dyno Results from xxxx Tune and Exhaust"....

Anyways, this may not be the forum for me, cause it seems like everytime you mention anything along these lines you get guys squawking about the warranty. Look, I'm not some young buck (maybe I am compared to many on here), and I do get the 1 town dealership concept - but honestly, it seems like many of you should have opted for the 5.0, and left the EBTT's up to the "Young Whipper Snappers". Anyways. I'm 33 and love this truck - 2wd, AC Seats, and all.
OMG you don't have 4wd? Sorry, after you summed up everything else I figured I would throw the 4wd thing in. That way your post would nicely wrap up the new weeks post on: MPG, warranty, and my truck is cooler them yours.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is pretty funny all the people who are buying 5000 pound pickups with 360 plus horse motors that are rated between 14-20 MPG complaining about mileage and asking how to improve it. The only 100% accurate answer on how to improve MPG's is to not buy a pickup truck. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the MPG's I'm getting with my 5.0 but if that was a major concern, I wouldn't be driving it.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by begone

If 45% of Ford buyers are buying V6 trucks most are doing it for the fuel economy. With gas at 4 bucks, mpg is important. With a truck costing $40k you won't see a lot of guys taking a chance of voiding the warranty with mods. Heck if gas is a worry, how many can afford several thousand for a tuner as well as thousands if you blow it up.
Ford has already stated that they are cracking down on mods, so even if you know Joe Mechanic at your dealership who says he will fix it under warranty dont' plan on it happening. Ford is monitoring all powertrain warranty repairs closely on the eco, coyote and 6.7 diesel. They will investigate if any failure is suspicious. You will foot the bill. Second, the encryption of the pcm hasn't been cracked so how do you expect someone to offer a tuner for sale. There are very few eco performance parts out there.
Why don't you go buy what their is and put it on yours and tell us how it works?

What does age have to do with owning an eco or not? Some buy it for the performance, some for towing and some for the fuel economy.

2wd, you are just as well to be driving a car. Real trucks are 4x4's.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdude
If 45% of Ford buyers are buying V6 trucks most are doing it for the fuel economy. With gas at 4 bucks, mpg is important. With a truck costing $40k you won't see a lot of guys taking a chance of voiding the warranty with mods. Heck if gas is a worry, how many can afford several thousand for a tuner as well as thousands if you blow it up.
Ford has already stated that they are cracking down on mods, so even if you know Joe Mechanic at your dealership who says he will fix it under warranty dont' plan on it happening. Ford is monitoring all powertrain warranty repairs closely on the eco, coyote and 6.7 diesel. They will investigate if any failure is suspicious. You will foot the bill. Second, the encryption of the pcm hasn't been cracked so how do you expect someone to offer a tuner for sale. There are very few eco performance parts out there.
Why don't you go buy what their is and put it on yours and tell us how it works?

What does age have to do with owning an eco or not? Some buy it for the performance, some for towing and some for the fuel economy.

2wd, you are just as well to be driving a car. Real trucks are 4x4's.

For someone who wants every post to be "exact" and "scientific" I would like to know where you get all your "information"...

45% are buying V6s and most are for the gas mileage...who really knows...besides you of course

$4 a gallon...hummm, everywhere?

$40K per truck...WOW, Single Pricing!

Several $1000's for a tuner...everyone of them?

Eco, Coyote and 6.7 diesel...be consistent...3.5L, 5.0 and 6.7 OR Ecoboost, Coyote and Scorpion

You should do a bit more research before you post ... things must be exact on an internet forum.

Sounds Pretty Silly doesn't it...
Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by DieselDawg

For someone who wants every post to be "exact" and "scientific" I would like to know where you get all your "information"...

45% are buying V6s and most are for the gas mileage...who really knows...besides you of course

$4 a gallon...hummm, everywhere?

$40K per truck...WOW, Single Pricing!

Several $1000's for a tuner...everyone of them?

Eco, Coyote and 6.7 diesel...be consistent...3.5L, 5.0 and 6.7 OR Ecoboost, Coyote and Scorpion

You should do a bit more research before you post ... things must be exact on an internet forum.

Sounds Pretty Silly doesn't it...
What makes you think anything he said was silly? Hell he has a real truck because it's 4wd!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 AM

Ford is monitoring all powertrain warranty repairs closely on the eco, coyote and 6.7 diesel. They will investigate if any failure is suspicious. You will foot the bill.
2wd, you are just as well to be driving a car. Real trucks are 4x4's.[/QUOTE]

I'm 43 and I have owned too many vehicles to count on two hands, I have modded many of them and still have a modded mustang. In many cases the day it left the dealer, I was ordering parts. At this point in my life I feel it's more important to have a warranty on my truck rather than take the chance of it being voided right out of the box. I plan on retiring in 2yrs. and 10 months, so I would like this to be my last truck for a long time. One other thing, if you want horsepower and performance, why didn't you just but a mustang or something similar? After all that's what they are for, trucks are for hauling, towing, taking off road and around here, snow in the winter
Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 AM

^^That's a pretty narrow opinion on what a Truck is. I mean SVT Lightning, Dodge SRT10, and the list can go on.

IMO, Trucks are the swiss army knives of the vehicle world. With a Quad Cab nowadays - there's not any vehicle that can do it all like a truck. Lifted/Lowered, Fast/Slow, 2wd/4wd, Work/City Truck - a truck has a multitude of uses for the masses.

As far as HP goes with the EB, I'm not sure how many more threads on MPG I can stand in one forum. Especially when one of the biggest draws of this truck ISN"T the MPG's, but actually the HP #'s. Do you really think that everyone would be buying these EB's if the HP/Tq #'s were less than the 5.0? Heck No - the MPG difference isn't big enough to sacrifice HP AND drive around in a measly "V6" vs a V8. So while MPG's are a plus, the biggest draw to this engine is actually the Power it makes and how it makes it (Twin Turbos). Otherwise most buyers would opt for another truck or a different engine (3.7) config.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

I like the mph threads BUT only the ones that are really saying the average mpg they are getting along with the info for their truck.
All these posts where they go out on the hwy, reset the comp, then record the mpg for 10 miles is totally ridiculous.
How does that equate to the trucks rating?
Now I am interested in hearing about new mods and tunes but it will be a long time before I can do anything.

Quick Reply: Can't wait till these MPG threads turn into HP threads....