Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

can a tuned 5.0 keep up with a stock ecoboost?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default can a tuned 5.0 keep up with a stock ecoboost?

So like the title says can a 5.0 with minimal mods like a intake, exhaust and decent tune keep up with a stock ecoboost as far as towing ability, mpg, acceleration etc in a identical configured truck? I was dead set on getting a new platinum with the ecoboost but it seems like they're near impossible to find in my neck of the woods. However i have found a couple that have the new 5.0 engine. I'm not looking for racecar performance out of a truck but i hate feeling underpowered. My last truck was a 09 GMC with the 6.2 which was a beast but the mileage was horrible.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think a stock 5L is under powered and I wouldn't be so concerned with one "keeping up" to the Eco. I test drove both before I bought mine, just decided to go with the Eco for my own reasons.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Someone please lock this before it gets absolutely out of control and turns into a pissing contest like all the rest of the 5.0 vs EB threads
Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

I think you should just drive the 5.0L and see how close it compares with your former 6.2L... The EB and Coyote 5.0 are a bit different, but both should suit your needs. If you don't need to tow more than about 9,000# (I always figure best towing is 80% of what the manufacturer says
Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 5.0 like the EB, 3.7, and the 6.2 are all wonderfully powerful and refined motors, each are more than capable. I must say your question is a bit open ended and lends itself to another 5.0 vs. EB discussion/pissing contest like the previous poster has eluded to.

If you are “not looking for racecar performance”, but rather a vehicle that does everything you ask it to and does not leave you as you say “feeling underpowered” the 5.0 is more than capable of providing you that performance in a package (Platinum Trim) you want. As far as gas mileage goes that seems to cover the spectrum and is more determined about how heavy your right foot is. After reading several of the threads on this on paper the EB does manage better highway mileage by 9.5%. Under towing conditions those numbers seem to become a near parity.

In the end only you can determine if anything feels underpowered, as that is relatively subjective… but by no means I don’t think anyone here would say the 5.0 is a gutless slouch… unless they are a GM or Dodge Troll…
Old 09-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh this is going to get real bad.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Put your money where your feet are and see what kind of deal you can get on that Platinum. It should be rock n roll. You will likely get sucked in to doing more 5.0 mods as they become more available anyways. The EB awesome but so is the v8..... every one here who bought a EB or 5.0 had the same tough choice and just made a decision based on what was more their liking, or convenience, or cost.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Here's my opinion: the 5.0 sounds sooo good that I wanted to get it for that reason alone. From a stop light, the 5.0 pulled harder, but once the EB turbos lit the game was over. Turbo lag is one thing the 5.0 will never have a problem with. Yes, the EB still has lag, but it's well within acceptable limits. Personally, I feel that the EB pulls better at highway speeds. Where as the 5.0 has to rev to make more power, the EB can dig deep, make more boost and let the torque flow.

My dealer let me test drive the trucks with a trailer. I'd suggest you doing the same thing. Hook up and do a loop through the city and on the highway. That test clinched the engine decision for us.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasnt trying to start EB vs 5.0 pissing match, just trying to get an answer to a valid question. I have test drove both engines and in my opinion the EB is noticeably more powerful but the 5.0 isnt exactly a slouch either and it sounds far better. Im just not convinced i'm gonna be happy with the 5.0 if i cant find an ecoboost i like.

This is going to be my first ford vehicle so i'm really hoping to get exactly what i want so i'm happy. Always been a GM man but my last truck definitely soured me to them. Great engine/tranny but the truck itself was a POS. It was totalled off when i got hit by lightning in a thunderstorm one night about 2 months back. Kinda funny but i was actually excited after the insurance company told me it was a total loss.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:21 PM
z06

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by retoxtony
I wasnt trying to start EB vs 5.0 pissing match, just trying to get an answer to a valid question. I have test drove both engines and in my opinion the EB is noticeably more powerful but the 5.0 isnt exactly a slouch either and it sounds far better. Im just not convinced i'm gonna be happy with the 5.0 if i cant find an ecoboost i like.

This is going to be my first ford vehicle so i'm really hoping to get exactly what i want so i'm happy. Always been a GM man but my last truck definitely soured me to them. Great engine/tranny but the truck itself was a POS. It was totalled off when i got hit by lightning in a thunderstorm one night about 2 months back. Kinda funny but i was actually excited after the insurance company told me it was a total loss.

No bad choice. But, if you want the EB then I would find one. I drove the EB pulling a trailer at a Ford event so I drove it like I stole it. You can see what I bought in my sig.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can a tuned 5.0 keep up with a stock ecoboost?