Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Braking Performance

Old 06-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Braking Performance

Just kind of curious what should be the expected outcome when slamming on the brakes as hard as you can at say 60 mph on dry asphalt?

Not that its something you should need to do often...and I hope I never need to again. But 2 weeks ago I had two very close calls from stupid drivers. The first was stopped in traffic in the left lane and I was in free flowing traffic the next lane over. I did slow down but was still doing 60 mph when she pulled out right in front of me and failed to accelerate at all. I pressed the brakes so hard I pulled a muscle in my thigh. The truck scared me as it really didn't slow down that fast...I kind of expected the ABS to kick on or the tires to lock up and squeel but neither happened. I just slowed down at a much slower rate than I thought I would...and fully expected to slam into her. Luckily I didn't.

A few days later I was going 45 mph and a car in the lane to the left of me cut me off within 5 ft of my bumper and slammed on the brakes to make a right turn. Roads were wet and this time the tires locked slightly but again I wasn't super impressed with how fast I slowed down.

I really haven't needed to apply braking in that drastic of a fashion in 13 years of driving so maybe its completely normal...just expected it to stop quicker.

Any similar experiences? Makes me watch my following distances a little more now with a trailer on behind me.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

how many miles on your truck?
Old 06-04-2013, 04:04 PM

44500 miles now, pads still seem in pretty good shape. Going to rotate my tires again Friday/Saturday and will take a more thorough look, but don't look bad to me at all.

I did do a quick search and i guess there were some others complaining about the truck "gliding" to a stop...thats a pretty good way to put it I guess.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
44500 miles now, pads still seem in pretty good shape. Going to rotate my tires again Friday/Saturday and will take a more thorough look, but don't look bad to me at all.

I did do a quick search and i guess there were some others complaining about the truck "gliding" to a stop...thats a pretty good way to put it I guess.
If you had the truck from brand new then I think you need new brakes. Your rotors and pads are probably glazed causing reduced braking.
The following users liked this post:
sullyman (06-05-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

sounds like either
  1. old fluid
  2. boiled fluid
  3. glazed pads
  4. cracked pads
  5. time for new pads

my truck will throw the front end on the pavement and come to a screaming halt.
The following users liked this post:
sullyman (06-05-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

I am in fear that if I apply the brakes on my truck too hard it will flip over frontwards.....That's just how good the brakes on my 2011 are...lol
Old 06-04-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

The brake pedal should vibrate as the ABS kicks in and keeps the wheels from locking up, I've read several different post with guys complaining that they're brakes feel crummy to guys that can stop on a dime. my 09 sucked and the dealer said thats just the way it is and I adjusted my driving habits accordingly, my 13 stops on a dime and that took some getting use to. At your mileage the pads may have plenty of meat on them but have glazed over killing some of the stopping power.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps do yourself a little test run? Hop on the interstate when the roads are dry and there is no traffic and slam your brakes really hard. Perhaps you had too much adrenaline running through your veins that you didn't realize how fast you ACTUALLY were slowing down.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:10 AM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 02reaper
I am in fear that if I apply the brakes on my truck too hard it will flip over frontwards.....That's just how good the brakes on my 2011 are...lol

After reading this thread and now having 1000 miles on my truck, I decided to hit the brakes on the way home from work tonight. I hit them firmly but I didn't stand on them, and yea I could hear the front tires start to whirr like they were about to skid and it felt like the truck would flip over forward lol.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 PM

Well I guess I'll just hope there are no more close calls due to idiots cause they still stop a heavy trailer and everything...just don't stop on a dime at 60 mph like I said.

I hope I don't ever need to push the brakes like that again...I was pretty ticked both times, some people are so dumb.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Braking Performance