Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

BOV, Turbo, or ?

Old 03-22-2017, 10:30 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Exclamation BOV, Turbo, or ?

So I had a thread on some issues with my truck but it got nowhere. It had lots of views but no hits. I think I didn't properly describe the issue.

The truck recently went in for the cam phaser / timing chain tsb. I also installed a catch can, following the instructions posted by fordtechmakuloco, a day after the warranty work.

The issue I am experiencing is the truck seems to boost fine in some instances, then it will not in others. When its acting up It will boost fine then blow off, then boost again even at mid throttle while still accelerating.

I don't recall hearing that "woosh" noise being as prominent as it is post TSB. Seems to be quite loud. I looked over the catch can items and everything is plugged in and or capped off. I did remove the PS intake to the turbo when I drilled but its tight.

So where do I go from here? What do I check?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Almost sounds similar to the issue I have had for years. I have not been able to figure mine out yet. Usually it's worse in cold weather for me, and it just constantly sounds like air getting let out of a tank. Heavy hit of the throttle it holds for a split second then you can hear the whoosh sound as it bleeds it off. But when it's warm out it doesn't do it nearly as bad

Do you notice it get better in higher gears? If I accelerate heavily from a stop, you can really hear the air getting released in 1st, 2nd and 3rd, above that it gets much quieter like the engine is able to process the air. It's hard to describe. Truck accelerates better in higher gears as well. It just doesn't want to hold boost down low

I don't know if any of that sounds like your issues or not.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:49 PM
King Hater

Similar. I was noticing mine in the higher gears. Mostly on my trip back from WA.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My truck has the same symptoms as yours. I have not figured the source yet either. Hopefully someone knows the cause or could explain what is happening.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:46 AM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

Just my $0.02

Any chance you have a tuner or something you can monitor PID's with? May be worth while to start monitoring and see if something is inconsistent. Watching things like throttle body position, boost and wastegate operation.

Do you have a weep hole drilled? is it small (1/16th")?

Not sure if it's linked to the cam phasers or not, but if they aren't operating properly you will see inconsistent power.

May be a tough one to figure out, but maybe start with the basics and make sure something isn't unplugged or a pinched wire from the TSB work.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:26 AM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

Have any of you guys inspected your bov for tears in the rubber diaphragm? The symptoms you're describing sound similar to what I was going through, it was suggested to me to check my bov diaphragm and when I did I found a small tear. I replaced it and truck now runs better than ever and no whooshing/air sound all the time now.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:27 PM
King Hater

Originally Posted by Blown F-150
Just my $0.02

Any chance you have a tuner or something you can monitor PID's with? May be worth while to start monitoring and see if something is inconsistent. Watching things like throttle body position, boost and wastegate operation.

Do you have a weep hole drilled? is it small (1/16th")?

Not sure if it's linked to the cam phasers or not, but if they aren't operating properly you will see inconsistent power.

May be a tough one to figure out, but maybe start with the basics and make sure something isn't unplugged or a pinched wire from the TSB work.
Weep hole was drilled years ago. New Plugs gapped to .030 within 15k miles.

Not sure if my SCT can monitor those? I'd have to look.

I honestly don't remember having the issue pre wareanty work.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:27 PM
King Hater

Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron
Have any of you guys inspected your bov for tears in the rubber diaphragm? The symptoms you're describing sound similar to what I was going through, it was suggested to me to check my bov diaphragm and when I did I found a small tear. I replaced it and truck now runs better than ever and no whooshing/air sound all the time now.
I have not. I'll have to find a how too.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:16 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Checking the wastegates/Bov/intake manifold is kind of my next step. Try this weekend while I rotate tires to get access to the turbos and see if I can suck any air through the bovs
Old 03-23-2017, 11:15 PM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
Weep hole was drilled years ago. New Plugs gapped to .030 within 15k miles.

Not sure if my SCT can monitor those? I'd have to look.

I honestly don't remember having the issue pre wareanty work.
If the hole was drilled some time ago, I guess strike that one off the list (not that I really think such a minor "boost leak" will affect anything anyway.

If you have an X4 tuner, you can monitor a bunch of stuff. You could also set up a data logging session and review afterwards.

Since you have the BOV's on the turbos, I would think there has to be a fairly easy way to test the diaphragms with a hand-held vacuum pump.

I would take some time looking over the wiring and connections, who knows, maybe they have a connector half connected???

Good luck!

Search this Thread