Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

BIG HELP with Random Noise 5.0L 2011

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BIG HELP with Random Noise 5.0L 2011

Hey everyone, I've got a noise that I can't figure out, & I can't be the only F150 owner to have heard it I hope.

It sounds very "creaky," sort of like a stress creak or groan when you bend something? That's the best I can describe... It's not a tick, or a knock, but perhaps an odd grinding noise?

It's coming from the drivers side of the engine bay, doesn't happen until the engine is warmed up. When the engine is warmed up, it's intermittent, the sound lasts about 1/2 a second or so, and pulses every 3 to 4 seconds. I don't notice it while driving at all, but only at idle. Perhaps I can't hear it when I'm driving? it seems to make the first sound about a second before I come to a complete stop, then goes away as I hit 10mph or so. My engine makes a ticking noise, but it's done that for many many miles. I've noticed this groaning noise the past 20k, but it's gotten way more frequent as of late. I've looked into the pulleys and they all seem find, the power steering pump doesn't make sense (turning the wheel does nothing to the noise), and it's not an exhaust leak that I can tell. Also, when the noise occurs, there's absolutely no impact on the engine RPM (based on my tach). My motor seems to run really well still (I'm at 110k), it purrs perfectly while I drive, and idle is super quiet, even from the outside. The only noise it makes is this weird groan.

AC & Heat on/off, blower on/off, doesn't seem to impact this at all. Shifting through PRNDLE is smooth, when I drive shifting through the gears is smooth. None of that makes any noise or thuds.

Does anyone have any off-the-wall suggestions for what this noise could be? I'll check anything. I'm working on uploading a youtube video of it shortly & i'll post the link then.

I'm up to date on any maintenance that Ford has recommended, aside from my spark plugs at 100k. I'll be doing those in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: BIG HELP with Random Noise 5.0L 2011