Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Best Cold Air Intake for Ecoboost?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Best Cold Air Intake for Ecoboost?

So there are a few out there now, what is everyone saying is the best Cold Air Intake for the Ecoboost and why? If you have a CAI on your Ecoboost please post your results here and lets put together a good thread on the comparisons of them all. I did a search and there is information scattered everywhere, time to bring it all together in one place!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump.. curious as well
Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys check out my volant CAI thread, I tried to provide lots of pics and a good honest review. I absolutely love the thing. I felt much more of a power increase than I expected. I really didn't expect any but its great.
Looks really good and everything in the kit is Very high quality. Plus nobody else is offering the Donaldson powercore filter. It's a dry filter that flows as good as gauze, filters as good as paper and it will hold pounds of dirt before stopping up. Ford uses this filter on the new powerstrokes and those guys love them. Oh yeah and you don't have to clean it or replace it for 100,000 miles!

Btw truck revs faster and is much more responsive. Much more willing to keep giving it up especially above 4,000 rpm. It's got quite the kick

Last edited by Buellracer; 03-13-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Buellracer
Hey guys check out my volant CAI thread, I tried to provide lots of pics and a good honest review. I absolutely love the thing. I felt much more of a power increase than I expected. I really didn't expect any but its great.
Looks really good and everything in the kit is Very high quality. Plus nobody else is offering the Donaldson powercore filter. It's a dry filter that flows as good as gauze, filters as good as paper and it will hold pounds of dirt before stopping up. Ford uses this filter on the new powerstrokes and those guys love them. Oh yeah and you don't have to clean it or replace it for 100,000 miles!

Btw truck revs faster and is much more responsive. Much more willing to keep giving it up especially above 4,000 rpm. It's got quite the kick
It was your thread that motivated me to start this thread. I'm hoping to get a lot of CAI information in this one thread to help me make a decision on which one to go with. My criteria for a choice is going to be based on recommendations like yours and how they compare in price.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:29 PM

I like that that you research first I did a lot of research. The volant is expensive but I tried to document it so well because if your going to drop the coin for the CAI I REALLY think this one is probably the highest quality... Other than the crappy instructions it came with
Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 PM

So where's all the people who have installed the Airaid, Injen and K&N CAI kits?

Last edited by Viking1204; 03-13-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:08 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

I have the AFE kit. It sounds good and the filter is also dry with the one I purchased. You guys are dreaming if you think you picked up a huge gain in power or responsiveness. Dyno proven 7-10whp gains are not going to snap your neck upon acceleration. I went with the AFE because I had one on my diesel plus it was only 200 bucks from afeintakestore.com. I think that was the address. Goodluck with your search.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM

I didn't get any kind of neck snapping gain out of mine but I expected nothing but sound and a little bling and I most definitely got a noticeable improvement in performance. I'm just stoked about it because I expected it to be exactly the same and surprisingly it did help it enough that you can tell a difference.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a little searching but haven't found what I think I want anyway... I don't want the added noise of an open filter box under the hood. Been there, done that in the past.

So I was wonder if anyone makes just the tube section with clean bends and smooth inside but keeps the factory airbox? If so is just that section along with a better direct fit replacement filter (Donaldson?) really help enough to be worth it?
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 PM

You pretty much just described the volant man. Smoother, better intake tube, better filter, closed air box, not very loud at all, just a touch more turbo whistle. Just enought that you know the turbos are there. If I wouldn't have pointed it out to my fiancé she wouldn't even have noticed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Cold Air Intake for Ecoboost?