Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Best Air Filter for 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best Air Filter for 5.0L

So I'm debating on whether or not to buy an intake for my truck like a k&n or air aid. I want to know whether it makes a difference in power and breathability for my truckk. Ive read that people say that the stock is already a CAI and that it is all we will ever need, but I want more power. Will it give me more power if I get one?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want to know this myself
Old 06-16-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 538 Likes on 448 Posts

more than likely not
Old 06-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

If you look at most dyno graphs that these companies put out you'll see that there is little to no gain until you get above ~4,000rpms and even then it's not that much...and that goes for most any modern engine except for forced induction.
The following 2 users liked this post by ClaySlayer:
buzzard bait (01-02-2015), joe0817 (06-17-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Best hp gain is a tune and then maybe 20 rwhp on the 5.0. Not much you can do for low end, it's the design of the motor. Unless...you supercharge it.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 PM

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

I installed an Airaid Junior (uses factory air box), and there is no HP gain. MPG on the highway improved by 1 mpg. Looks cleaner under the hood if that means anything to you.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default k&n

I purchased a drop in K &N for my 2011 5.0 because I planned on keeping this truck for a long time and it would save money never having to buy another air filter.
I have had to pay ford for the code checks two times since the 36.000 mile warranty expired
and then paid to have the Mass air flow sensor cleaned. Over $100.00 so far due to the oil on the K&N. I took it out. It is for sale. If you want it I will make you a good deal on it.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I put drop in K&N Air Filters on my previous two trucks I had before my 2011 F-150. They were a 1990 F-150 (302 V8) and a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge (3.0L V6).

I never had any real issues with the filters other than for some reason they seemed to get MUCH dirtier much faster than the paper filters did and required cleanings more often than I would have preferred.

With that said I didn't notice ANY power/torque gains on either vehicle. I've heard that even dropping in a true CAI system yields minimal power gains (especially on newer vehicles). A true CAI system will make your engine a little more noisy, but I doubt you'll be able to notice much if any difference in power.

Because of my lackluster experience with the K&N drop in air filters I've just stuck with the Motocraft/Fram...etc...etc paper units with my 2011 F-150, Just rolled over 30,000 miles about a month ago on it.

If you're looking for a noticeable power upgrade in your truck then a I would start with a Tune. I've been looking into a 5-Star tune for my 5.0L, Personally I haven't driven a tuned F-150 5.0L yet, so I can't honestly compare the difference's between stock and Tuned, but I see people raving all the time on these forums about how much of a difference the Tune made, and I've seen these trucks shave at least a full second off their 1/4 mile times with a tune vs the Stock times, so that has to stand for something.

If you're really looking for a MAJOR (But costly) upgrade than you can look into Supercharging, a Supercharged/Tuned 5.0L F-150 will pass just about anything on the road.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I just bought an AEM drop in. Should be here tomorrow. It had good reviews. I don't expect any real performance increases, but some of the reviewers thought it made the motor a little more responsive. It's only $38, so I decided to gamble on it. Of course some reviewers felt power increase, better mpg etc etc, but that is really not possible from a drop in filter unless your old filter is all but clogged up!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Billr
I just bought an AEM drop in. Should be here tomorrow. It had good reviews. I don't expect any real performance increases, but some of the reviewers thought it made the motor a little more responsive. It's only $38, so I decided to gamble on it. Of course some reviewers felt power increase, better mpg etc etc, but that is really not possible from a drop in filter unless your old filter is all but clogged up!
I have this same filter and did a review on another thread. I have the airaid jr intake and I am using the AEM drop in filter with the jr intake. I also have no resonator and a Borla 40842s muffler and 4" Tip. Sounds and runs perfect. I had the K&N open filter kit before this one, and as stated earlier the only gains seen are at the top of the RPM range. Basically at WOT! The AEM is owned by K&N, and to me is a cross between the K&N oiled and the dry Airaid synthamax filters. I have zero vibration with this combination of intake, filter, and exhaust. My 5.0 runs and sounds perfect with all of these factors. I don't know how the AEM sounds on a completely stock setup, but I bet it will serve you well. Best bang for your buck on a filter.

Quick Reply: Best Air Filter for 5.0L