Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Anyone Running Nitrous? (5.0)

Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anyone Running Nitrous? (5.0)

Once my truck is out if warranty I plan to apply the giggle gas (RCSB 4X4/5.0/3.55) and I'm slowly trying to gather up the parts needed so I'll be ready when my odometer hits that magic number.

I plan to start with a 50shot and then progress to a 100hp shot to use probably twice a week at the track.

Looking at three different kits: 1. Nitrous Outlet plate kit (wet), 2. Nitrous Express plate kit (wet) and the JMS Chip setup (dry but with a nice progressive controller included!) all three of these lots are specific to the Mustang 5.0 but I can't imagine why they wouldn't work and bolt right up on the F150. Only exception would be maybe the controller with the JMS kit might need adjusted a bit for truck use.

I already have an SCT X4 tuner that I've also not used as of yet so once I get to a 75 shot and above I do plan to have a nitrous specific tune made for safety (and shifting advantages of course)

If anyone here is running nitrous:

1. what setup are you using?
2. you go to a colder plug or just regap? Happy so far?
3. Are you using a window switch or just a WOT switch?
4. Where did you mount your bottle?

I want to get this truck to a 12.9 on the spray.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:03 PM

Try doing a search for Boss5.0. Was a member here. He ran nitrous in his. If memory serves me right 75hp shot seemed to be the best bang for buck that he found with no additional tuning needed, just plug and play. Beyond that he went with colder plugs and less timing.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by scross86
Try doing a search for Boss5.0. Was a member here. He ran nitrous in his. If memory serves me right 75hp shot seemed to be the best bang for buck that he found with no additional tuning needed, just plug and play. Beyond that he went with colder plugs and less timing.
Thanks, actually did that but couldn't find a lot of info other than dyno sheets and such (which are great of course) nothing on his install. Also there there's another member listed on the 1/4 mile times thread that ran N2O but I can't seem to find any posts by him.

Most Mustang guys are telling me the NX plate kit is the way to go. Just wish I could get some input from F150 guys on bottle mounting/placement and such. Maybe I'll have to be the first to document it.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:14 AM

For anyone checking this thread out I spoke with a representative from Nitrous Express today via another forum and he said they have actually used the #20948 plate kit on a 5.0 equipped truck and everything bolted right up and worked perfectly including the nice "auto learn" TPS switch they have (included in the kit)

He did recommend that a window switch be used for maximum safety.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:12 AM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by DeuceRooster
For anyone checking this thread out I spoke with a representative from Nitrous Express today via another forum and he said they have actually used the #20948 plate kit on a 5.0 equipped truck and everything bolted right up and worked perfectly including the nice "auto learn" TPS switch they have (included in the kit)

He did recommend that a window switch be used for maximum safety.
Not having a window kit is how boss first lifted a head then blew his engine. DEFINITELY get one.

When I was considering nitrous I was going to run a fuel pressure switch as well. I can tell you that the stock fuel pump runs out of steam between 650 and 700 crank HP on E85 so on gas it should support close to 1000HP in terms of flow.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by mechanicboy
I can tell you that the stock fuel pump runs out of steam between 650 and 700 crank HP on E85 so on gas it should support close to 1000HP in terms of flow.
Good to know, thank you sir.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:57 PM

Ordered up a 15LB bottle today from Nitrous Express. Just trying to do this piece by piece. Ordering the window switch next (just can't figure out which would work best... Leaning towards the MSD)
Old 07-26-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Any updates?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looking at this:

Nitrous Express 2011 Ford Mustang 4V 5.0L Coyote Plate System Kit 35-200 HP 20948-10

This system includes a TPS Autolearn switch so the nitrous only activates at wide open throttle and automatically turns off when you let your foot off the accelerator.

Do i need a window switch as well or can i just use this kit and have it on at WOT?

I'm assuming it doesnt matter what gear it is in so if i mash it from the line, it'll start spraying??

if so, i would have to roll on until i switch it into second then go WOT and have it start spraying?

my first time with nitrous so just finding all the info i need. if i do need a window switch, i can use any brand right?
Old 07-31-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by pohnjarker
looking at this:

Nitrous Express 2011 Ford Mustang 4V 5.0L Coyote Plate System Kit 35-200 HP 20948-10

This system includes a TPS Autolearn switch so the nitrous only activates at wide open throttle and automatically turns off when you let your foot off the accelerator.

Do i need a window switch as well or can i just use this kit and have it on at WOT?

I'm assuming it doesnt matter what gear it is in so if i mash it from the line, it'll start spraying??

if so, i would have to roll on until i switch it into second then go WOT and have it start spraying?

my first time with nitrous so just finding all the info i need. if i do need a window switch, i can use any brand right?
If all you have is a WOT switch then yes, you will have to stay out of WOT until you want it to activate. Without a controller it all comes on at once and if it comes on too soon or stays on too late KABOOM!

You should also note that many, and by that I mean most, tuners will have the throttle plate WOT before your throttle pedal is all the way down. Make sure you tell them you don't want that kind of spring throttle or you'll have hell controlling the activation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone Running Nitrous? (5.0)