Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Anyone pulled the snorkel out of their ecoboost intake?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Anyone pulled the snorkel out of their ecoboost intake?

Was reading up on the Gott's mod and in my never ending quest to hear at least a little turbo whistle, I ordered a K&N CAI (I have had great luck with them in the past on all of my vehicles, some of them even turboed, they are fine) and pulled the snorkel out of the factory box for now. Has anyone tried this yet? I won't be going anywhere for another hour so won't be able to see if anything changes. I highly doubt it but who knows.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM

Driving by a wall you can hear them more. Otherwise it's just a hair more noise. Bout what I expected.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:12 PM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

I took mine out several time but never noticed a difference.

The biggest difference is taking the little "turbonator" plastic things out of the intake and removing the fiberglass board under the transmission off (held on by 4 quarter turn thumb screws, need to remove to change the oil).

I have an aftermarket intake (Airaid) and it help a little, but those two things previously mentioned did the most for me.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM

I've removed the whirly gig things already. Ill take that tray off when I get home. Not like it offers any protection any ways.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried a throttle body spacer on an ecoboost ? Did it affect turbo whistle or add hp ?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpositraction
I took mine out several time but never noticed a difference.

The biggest difference is taking the little "turbonator" plastic things out of the intake and removing the fiberglass board under the transmission off (held on by 4 quarter turn thumb screws, need to remove to change the oil).

I have an aftermarket intake (Airaid) and it help a little, but those two things previously mentioned did the most for me.
What is the purpose of this tray anyways. My last oil change the dealer forgot to tighten the screws.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:34 PM

I'm assuming to keep water off of hot parts as it serves almost zero protection from anything else. Which I find weird because how many cars have hot components down there and are exposed to rain?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Centexguy
Was reading up on the Gott's mod and in my never ending quest to hear at least a little turbo whistle, I ordered a K&N CAI (I have had great luck with them in the past on all of my vehicles, some of them even turboed, they are fine) and pulled the snorkel out of the factory box for now. Has anyone tried this yet? I won't be going anywhere for another hour so won't be able to see if anything changes. I highly doubt it but who knows.
Definitely will keep a little water and dirt out. Took mine off seven months ago when installing my AFE II intake but have not had or noticed any problems. Figured it might get more air directly.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TBrown7300
Has anyone tried a throttle body spacer on an ecoboost ? Did it affect turbo whistle or add hp ?
spacers CAN help on carbureted or throttle body injected engines by giving a little more space/time for the fuel and air to mix. On a direct injected engine (EB) or even multi-port injection (5.0, 6.2) they serve no purpose other than profit for the seller. Well..unless it's got nitrous ports in it!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 AM
FX4 SCrew TT'd V6

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

The shield on the bottom the best I can tell is for sound insulation for the turbos, because I don't think any other engine combo has it (correct me if I am wrong). I noticed a big difference when driving next to a wall. A lot more turbo noise bouncing off the pavement. I know it is louder, I get a lot more looks especially when pulling.

Also, in the Owners Manual, it says to take it off when offroading to not damage it. So that to me rules out water and dirt

It is Diesel loud my any means, but it is more noticeable.

Last edited by mrpositraction; 10-11-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone pulled the snorkel out of their ecoboost intake?