Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Anyone had the 5.0 #8 Cyl Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone had the 5.0 #8 Cyl Issue?

I keep seeing the reliability discussion between the 5.0 owners and the EB owners. I don't want to detract from either engine as they are both amazing but I do want to sort out the facts. Is the coyote cylinder #8 issue actually affecting F150's?

I have been through tons of mustang forums and there did seem to be an issue with a small number of engines from build 1&2 in the 2011 mustangs especially if tuned. However, there were not many cases and all that I could find had tunes in them boosting the engine to over the stock 412hp. I have seen several explanations, some totally bogus and since debunked but 2 plausible ones including a batch of bad cylinder sleeves. I have not heard of any F150's being affected at all. Our engine is a different tune, heads, intake, compression ratio and has an oil cooler.

So, has anyone had to have their 5.0 replaced and how many. Are we talking one or two or tens and hundreds? Let's find facts instead of internet stories.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 AM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

Mine hasn't has a hint of trouble so far. Love my coyote! Smooth as glass until you throttle it, then there is just the most perfect exhaust note.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jml79
I keep seeing the reliability discussion between the 5.0 owners and the EB owners. I don't want to detract from either engine as they are both amazing but I do want to sort out the facts. Is the coyote cylinder #8 issue actually affecting F150's?

I have been through tons of mustang forums and there did seem to be an issue with a small number of engines from build 1&2 in the 2011 mustangs especially if tuned. However, there were not many cases and all that I could find had tunes in them boosting the engine to over the stock 412hp. I have seen several explanations, some totally bogus and since debunked but 2 plausible ones including a batch of bad cylinder sleeves. I have not heard of any F150's being affected at all. Our engine is a different tune, heads, intake, compression ratio and has an oil cooler.

So, has anyone had to have their 5.0 replaced and how many. Are we talking one or two or tens and hundreds? Let's find facts instead of internet stories.

Thanks.

I have only read about the mustangs having it so far and it was early on when they tuned them. From what I gathered it was something with the tune and the knock sensors...not sure tho. As far as i know ours has different compression intake and cams but the rest is the same.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 AM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Mike from 5 star stated that some tuners were trying to cheat and turn OFF the knock sensors, which resulted in cylinder number 8 failures. Number 8 probably got the hottest and some guys had issues. Tuning is everything these days, so stock I would not worry and if you do tune the truck, go with someone like Mike.

JPC racing has tuned stock 5.0s to over 700+ rwhp. The stock motor and computer are really good, even with Hyper internals.

I don't regret the engine choice!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

there were some early tunes that had timing on the edge with knock disabled that likely cracked stock pistons, and I am sure there have been a few marginal injectors on bad tunes that could have caused this as well. Like stated, stick with a proven tuner and you should be fine.

The motors realy arent that different at all, the intake is actually the same (minus some exterior casting differences) the only real differences are the intake cams, 0.5 point lower compression pistons, the heads have a wider valve seat for improved durability, but are otherwise the same, the exhaust manifolds and obviously the tune.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

When you hear about things like this, you can't help but understand why manufacturers are getting increasingly suspicious about aftermarket "canned" tunes. There are so many tuners out there that have no regard to long term reliability, or are just plain reckless with other peoples' expensive machines. Reputation and experience is everything when you are choosing a tuner rather than price. This is also why i'm not a fan of canned tunes as every vehicle is a little different, so why should you use a tune that was designed for one particular variation in the manufacturing process?

Needless to say, I am now starting to decide what the best exhaust for our trucks is going to be. I have been a huge fan of Borla in the past, but they don't appear to be making any catback systems for our trucks. I also like Corsa too, but they tend to sound a bit too racey compared to Borla.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Borla was one of the first to have a cat back for the F150, in their ATAK line...
Old 08-23-2012, 01:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't know that borla was making catback systems for our trucks as I couldn't find anything for our 5.0s on their site. I will have to look harder.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no way I am tuning anything. I just wanted to hear about real experiences. I did my research before buying my 5.0 and in my opinion there are less problems and a higher chance of long term reliability but every time someone mentions that as a pro on the pro con list while choosing their engine someone brings up the grenading #8 problem.

I have not found a single F150 affected and only early tuned mustangs. That says to me that the whole thing should be added to the myth pile.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Promoted to Elitist Prick

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

5.0's are bulletproof if tuned right. Don't cheap out on a tune and you will be fine.

Quick Reply: Anyone had the 5.0 #8 Cyl Issue?