Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Anybody swap there 3.5 to a 5.0 Coyote

Old 12-18-2018, 01:04 AM
KTM Hauler

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Anybody swap there 3.5 to a 5.0 Coyote

I was thinking about doing this
Im in Kalifornia and i would have to talk to a smog referee The motor would come from another F-150 so it will drop right in
The following users liked this post:
Shadetreecheap (02-27-2023)
Old 12-18-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,204 Posts

The motor may drop right in, but you are going to have to replace a lot of wiring and electronics to get it to work right. The modules for a eco aren't compatible with the 5.0 for the enginge side of things. Also wiring on these trucks is truck specific, so you will have to replace your wiring with the 5.0 for the necessary harnesses. You will then have to re-program a lot of the other modules to make sure they can talk properly to the modules you replaced. You would be out a lot more money and time (Not to mention you ruin the re-sale value of the truck). It would cost you less to sell this one and buy a 5.0.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:39 PM
KTM Hauler

The motors i found have all the wiring harness ECU and they came out of the same year 150
yes i think it would be a big pain if it did not work out .
I don't want another rod threw the block 3.5
Old 12-19-2018, 01:33 AM

Received 235 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by KTMJack
The motors i found have all the wiring harness ECU and they came out of the same year 150
My '13 windowed the block on its 2nd engine at 82K miles, so I feel your pain. (1st one was replaced at 31K miles after developing a loud tick.)
Selling your truck and buying another would be infinitely simpler than swapping engines.
I replaced mine with a 2nd gen 3.5 Eco, so hopefully the redesign fixed that whole catastrophic failure issue. Lol
Old 12-19-2018, 10:25 AM
KTM Hauler

Originally Posted by Kingofpasadena
My '13 windowed the block on its 2nd engine at 82K miles, so I feel your pain. (1st one was replaced at 31K miles after developing a loud tick.)
Selling your truck and buying another would be infinitely simpler than swapping engines.
I replaced mine with a 2nd gen 3.5 Eco, so hopefully the redesign fixed that whole catastrophic failure issue. Lol
You replaced the motor or Ford ? I found a low mileage 2015 motor but they tell me it is not compatible I think it's just the intake I will just put mine on it .
I will find out if Ford is going to fix it under warranty
Old 12-19-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 235 Likes on 114 Posts

You replaced the motor or Ford ? I found a low mileage 2015 motor but they tell me it is not compatible I think it's just the intake I will just put mine on it .
I will find out if Ford is going to fix it under warranty
The engine in the '13 was replaced at the dealer, but it was 6K miles out of warranty and it cost me $5K. Had to get lawyers involved, but Ford ended up buying the truck back.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:23 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

No way you can do it for less than it would cost just to change trucks. Unless you can get all the parts for free or nearly free and do all the work yourself.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

It's way less of a hassle to just get a built shortblock (or longblock) and put it in. 2000hp rods are not going to fail.
The following users liked this post:
Aboostedf150 (07-21-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 04:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown F-150
It's way less of a hassle to just get a built shortblock (or longblock) and put it in. 2000hp rods are not going to fail.
(I know this is old) yet ,ya know your 100% correct, as I’ve been thinking laying in bed today about a 5.0 with a big blower on it,and you made a good point, but my issue is trust, considering as much as I’ve got in my truck, I couldn’t build my truck again for 60k as I’ve got way more than that in it, and I’d have to buy a used one as ford was dumb and stop making extended cabs..otherwise I’d buy a gen2 raptor R and just lower it and install air bags and different shocks as well, and be done with it..but my problem isn’t normal for most ppl who are amatory, as I need a truck which can be dropped low enough for my wheelchair, or I get a used extended cab and try another power lift seat , although mine kept getting stuck leaving me stuck in the air or on the ground unable to drive off, or leave the truck, so it’s why I installed a frame dropped bagged truck ..I keep hearing about all the blown up ecoboost trucks with 2000hp rods in them, cause they were built incorrectly, although I don’t want to again drop a couple initials and start all that back and forth on the forums again with SOMEONE’s 3 initials …LOL..BE IT TRUE OR NOT DEPENDING ON WHICH SIDE OF THE. CUSTOMERS BROWN COUNTER YOUR ON..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody swap there 3.5 to a 5.0 Coyote