Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Another 5.0 Alternator Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 5.0 Alternator Fiasco

So I absolutely love my 2011 F150 XLT 2wd. She has somewhere near 200k miles on her now and I finally decided to start doing some over-landing and trail riding. Well on my first outing I found out the hard way about the alternator being located on the bottom of the engine and now just how expensive they are lol. So I drove my truck through a few "puddles" that ended up way deeper than expected but no issues and had a blast. Set up camp and and few hours later decided to run into town to grab a few things. 15 min into my drive the battery light came on. Tested the battery and it was great, but alternator stopped charging. Bought a spare battery, camped out for the night and drove 2hrs home the next day swapping out batteries half way. I get home and read all these posts throughout the years all having the same issues, but haven't seem to have found a fix for this issue. I really don't want to have a separate vehicle for over-landing, but it's not looking so good! I really don't want to drop $500-800 and all the work every time I want to hit the trails. Any input is greatly appreciated. I still haven't found a relocation kit and even at that, I still feel like I would get it wet with my luck.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com...ternator-Kit-4
Old 06-11-2019, 07:19 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Pretty much why I installed a lift kit on my truck, where I live is below sea level mostly, long hard rain or hurricane and you either have a high water vehicle or your stuck where ever you are.

No matter what you do, lift kit or alt relocate kit, it's gonna cost ya.

EDIT: With your mileage if your still on the original alt, it's probably worn out as well. Typically even under water the alt will still work as it's components are insulated. It takes all the water splash just from driving in rain storms without issue.

What ever you do DON'T buy aftermarket, no one I know has ever had good luck with them. Get one from your favorite Ford part supplier.

Last edited by RLXXI; 06-11-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Another 5.0 Alternator Fiasco