Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

5 Star SCT3 Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Silent Service

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 5 Star SCT3 Tunes

This is for folks that have experience with 5 Star tunes. Looking to hear feedback on the driveability differences between the 87 Econo tune and the 87 Performance tune. Motor differences aside, what did you notice?
Old 12-25-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I pulled out the eco tunes and went with the performance tunes...got better MPG's and performance and long as I stay off the go pedal. No running the 93 performance tune and I will not go back. It is freaking awesome.

Mike is a great guy...give him a call..tell him what you are doing with your truck..he will build what you need for a tune that is SAFE.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Silent Service

Oh, I already have the tuner. Currently running the 87 Perf. tune. I am going to upload the 87 Econo tune to see how it runs with that. I was just seeing if the Econo tune was vastly different from the 87 Perf. tune.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

I didnt see much difference at all in the 2, the economy made little to no difference in mileage.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Silent Service

I just got back from a short drive. With the econ tune it shifted earlier and also locked up the converter above 40mph. Shifts we're still nice and firm and the throttle was slightly less responsive. I could tell a difference as the truck was more sedate than with the 87 perf tune.....like stock but enhanced.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the Ecobo tune also and like stated above i saw no real change in mileage but was more sluggish feeling..I ran the 93performance tune since i got the tuner and ended up trying the 87 performance tune..What i can tell you is thisAnd im not saying the results will be the same for everyone else's truck with the tunes but it was like this with mine):,My truck gets better gas mileage with the 87 tune..I got 19mpg with the 87tune on the way to work (150mile trip)Vs 15-15.5 with the 93tune..I drove the truck over a week with each tune to make sure the computer was adjusted so that can't come into play..Again those were my results!!
Charles
Old 12-26-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by trikeffex
I tried the Ecobo tune also and like stated above i saw no real change in mileage but was more sluggish feeling..I ran the 93performance tune since i got the tuner and ended up trying the 87 performance tune..What i can tell you is thisAnd im not saying the results will be the same for everyone else's truck with the tunes but it was like this with mine):,My truck gets better gas mileage with the 87 tune..I got 19mpg with the 87tune on the way to work (150mile trip)Vs 15-15.5 with the 93tune..I drove the truck over a week with each tune to make sure the computer was adjusted so that can't come into play..Again those were my results!!
Charles
Those results are not surprising, in most circumstances 87 will provide better mpg than 91 or 93 octane, since there are more btu's in gallon of 87.

What truck and rear gears do you have? Did the 87 performance tune increase mpg over stock and if so by how much?

In spite of the posted dyno results. It doesn't seem that there is much documented reason for using the tunes. Comments based on seat of the pant feeling such as "it really woke my truck up" don't provide any real information.

Pushing my gas pedal down further really wakes my stock 5.0 up. Mine reaches beyond legal speeds plenty fast, has plenty of power as is, shifts just fine and gets good mpg.

Why do people feel the need for the tune for daily driving?
Old 12-26-2011, 07:37 PM

I just installed the 87performance /tow tune from mike butler at 5 star tuning.it is real nice. throttle response and low end grunt are definitely better the truck definitely had a slight lag in the throttle before.in the tow haul mode it seems to keep the rpms up more than stock by not shifting as soon keeping the truck in the powerband longer with a firmer shift which you want when towing rather than sliding into gear.2 thumbs up to mike I am new to tuners and he helped me with any questions very easy to deal with.

Last edited by Tr5.0; 12-26-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by parkgt
Those results are not surprising, in most circumstances 87 will provide better mpg than 91 or 93 octane, since there are more btu's in gallon of 87.

What truck and rear gears do you have? Did the 87 performance tune increase mpg over stock and if so by how much?

In spite of the posted dyno results. It doesn't seem that there is much documented reason for using the tunes. Comments based on seat of the pant feeling such as "it really woke my truck up" don't provide any real information.

Pushing my gas pedal down further really wakes my stock 5.0 up. Mine reaches beyond legal speeds plenty fast, has plenty of power as is, shifts just fine and gets good mpg.

Why do people feel the need for the tune for daily driving?
My truck is an 11' FX4 Screw 5.0 with 3.73 gears..I honestly couldn't tell you what i got stock as i pretty much put the programmer on right after i bought it..The truck has quite a bit of lag in it stock and once tuned its not as bad..The truck is just more enjoyable to drive tuned..Esp in the city,As when it was stock i had to push the pedal quite a bit to start gaining speed where as now you barely touch the throttle and it goes..My truck gained pretty good with the tune as the best pass i got stock was 15.5---87 tune 15.1---93 tune 14.7..I leave it on the 87 tune now as the mileage is better....
Charles
Old 12-27-2011, 05:50 PM

Got the aFe CAI and X3 from Mike a few days ago and I loaded the 87 Performance tune and from what I can see right now I lost about 2mpg. Now, it was even worse the first couple of days cause I couldn't keep my foot off the gas pedal, but I have been driving normal for the past two days and I went from 17.4mpg (stock) to around 15.2mpg (w/ 87 Performance).

Does this sound normal from what you all have been experiencing?

Quick Reply: 5 Star SCT3 Tunes