Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

5.0L Owners with MPT Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 538 Likes on 448 Posts

Default 5.0L Owners with MPT Tunes

I've narrowed my options down to MPT for my first go round with custom tuning. They have good reviews and have seen great strides to the top from the many threads i've read on here. However, the majority of those threads are for the EcoBoost

I have a canned 87 oct SCT tune on my truck now and surprisingly, its not terrible. Firmed up the shifts nicely and will chirp 2nd gear at WOT. I'd like to keep the same shift firmness with the MPT tune. Something firm, not too much at WOT, yet tame while DDing/cruise. I'm debating between street and chill.

What other parameters are you guys asking to be tinkered with? I have no real engine mods besides a muffler swap.

Post your reviews/comments/suggestions. This can be very beneficial for those 5.0L owners that can't seem to find a decent tune thread.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a write up on here a couple days ago for the 5.0 mpt chill 89 tow. Love it!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought one of MPTs tunes for mine a while back I got the 93 performance with the street shifting, honestly it is a great tune, I run 5stars 93 race tune and I have for about a year I sometimes switch back and forth between the two I have a little bigger tire on my truck and the 5 star tune "barks" the tires in 2nd, I really like this and is the reason I run this tune most of the time, for my preference I should have gotton the race shifting with the MPT, dont get me wrong it shifts good and firm but I just like the bark of the tires, and I can say honestly in my truck the two tunes are close but the MPT tune makes a little more midrange power...
Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JHager
I bought one of MPTs tunes for mine a while back I got the 93 performance with the street shifting, honestly it is a great tune, I run 5stars 93 race tune and I have for about a year I sometimes switch back and forth between the two I have a little bigger tire on my truck and the 5 star tune "barks" the tires in 2nd, I really like this and is the reason I run this tune most of the time, for my preference I should have gotton the race shifting with the MPT, dont get me wrong it shifts good and firm but I just like the bark of the tires, and I can say honestly in my truck the two tunes are close but the MPT tune makes a little more midrange power...
This times 2.
I've been running 5*'s performance tune for about a year. I tried MPT's and should have got the race shifting. Power feels identical. And the overall power band feels the same.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 PM

im having a tough time deciding which shift strategy to go with. The SCT canned tune shift firmness is plenty for me. I don't want to overdo it with the firmness as its not going to be raced or anything. Don't need to break necks when it shifts either. The SCT has a nice pull at each WOT shift. Is this more like the chill or street? I emailed mike and he said its more like the chill setting but dont want to get the chill and wish i got street. Can anyone shed some light who has tested both MPT chill or street and SCT canned?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 AM

Loaded up MPT 87 performance chill tonight and took it down the highway. Only had about 10min of drive time but was very impressed. The chill shifts is exactly what i was looking for, firm but not so much that it feels like the trans dropped. Pulls hard with WOT and makes my heavy screw feel alot lighter on its feet. The torque management is gone which is much needed on these trucks. Stock, it seems like forever for it to respond to your foot to the floor. Now it will get moving with the slightest touch with no delay.

Will give it a couple hundred miles to give another detailed review.

Last edited by zimmer0; 03-18-2014 at 12:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jus Jim (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 01:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zimmer0
Loaded up MPT 87 performance chill tonight and took it down the highway. Only had about 10min of drive time but was very impressed. The chill shifts is exactly what i was looking for, firm but not so much that it feels like the trans dropped. Pulls hard with WOT and makes my heavy screw feel alot lighter on its feet. The torque management is gone which is much needed on these trucks. Stock, it seems like forever for it to respond to your foot to the floor. Now it will get moving with the slightest touch with no delay. Will give it a couple hundred miles to give another detailed review.
Thanks for the thoughts on the tune. So the chill shifting is definitely a nice improvement over stock though?
Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 AM

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm running the 87 perf. It's amazing how different it makes your truck feel. I don't really think you can explain to someone how different it is if they have never felt it before. I'm talking about performance under normal DD conditions, worth every penny IMO.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by DeuceRooster
Thanks for the thoughts on the tune. So the chill shifting is definitely a nice improvement over stock though?
absolutely. Stock it would "slip" into gear, which isnt great for trans temps and overall clutch life. Now it snaps into gear just right. Under normal DD it behaves very well while tightening up all shifts so they don't delay. WOT, they firm up even more and it gives the truck an even more stronger feeling over stock...not overbearing where it bangs into gear though, that i would assume the street/race shift strategy does. Lets be honest, its still a heavy *** truck and for a DD and occasional fun run on the highway the chill setting is all you need IMO. I can still get Mike @ MPT to firm up the shifts even more but i'll need a little more drive time before determining that.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 AM
CRJ

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

this is what i was looking for! i find my 5L mushy off the line driving around town, and would love the throttle response i had with my 4L ranger. Sent them an email, to see what they have. their 93 octane power numbers are very impressive.

Quick Reply: 5.0L Owners with MPT Tunes