Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

5.0 troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 5.0 troubles

I have mentioned in some other threads about the issue I am having with my 2011 XLT Screw 5.0. Specifically the feeling that it is "missing" while driving. Can't tell when on the gas but if I am cruising at any speed and I have just enough pressure on the gas to maintain cruising speed, there is a feeling that it is missing. I also get rpms that will rise and fall for no reason and also, I am starting to get the hard upshift when accelerating hard. (Previously had TSB 11-11-11 done for that)

So, I take it to the dealer today. Take the tech for a ride. He can't really feel it so I ask if he can hook it up to some sensor that can tell if its off or not so he does. 45 minutes later I am told that some of the cylinders are not at 100% but they can't find anything wrong. I was sent on my way with the assurance that the tech would call ford and see if they had any suggestions. Now on my way home, I can feel every stinking miss/shutter/stutter/flare call it what you will.

The dealer I take it to is and has been wonderful. I did not buy the truck there or anywhere close to my house yet they have worked with me. But I am getting close to the edge. My local dealer is a joke, so I have to drive 25 miles to this dealer. Not a huge distance, but when you have to go there multiple times and try and find rides home and back... the stress is adding up.

These damn computerized engines/cars. #$%!@ them!! My previous car was a Sonata turbo 2.0. Similar type of engine problem symptoms. After 6 weeks, they finally found an error code and noticed that the fuel injectors were bad. Replaced them and it ran like a charm. Why is it that mechanics have to wait for a magical code to tell them what is wrong????? Is there no knowledge anymore of how to fix an engine? I am not trying to be a smart azz. Seriously, have we come so far to rely on computers that we can't do anything other than what the computer says? If so, this world is in a sad state. Thankfully at my job, I don't need a stupid computer to tell me how to fix something or that something is wrong. But apparently mechanics are going the way of meteorologists... if the computer says so, then it is so.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
The following 2 users liked this post by bryan8252:
Billr (06-24-2013), Kenferg1 (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 04:44 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bryan8252

These damn computerized engines/cars. #$%!@ them!! My previous car was a Sonata turbo 2.0. Similar type of engine problem symptoms. After 6 weeks, they finally found an error code and noticed that the fuel injectors were bad. Replaced them and it ran like a charm. Why is it that mechanics have to wait for a magical code to tell them what is wrong????? Is there no knowledge anymore of how to fix an engine? I am not trying to be a smart azz. Seriously, have we come so far to rely on computers that we can't do anything other than what the computer says? If so, this world is in a sad state. Thankfully at my job, I don't need a stupid computer to tell me how to fix something or that something is wrong. But apparently mechanics are going the way of meteorologists... if the computer says so, then it is so.
AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
I think there is plenty of knowledge to fix engines, in basic form they are not that difficult to diagnose. Now add the multitude of sensors, control modules and computer monitors in the mix and you have a nightmare without the proper diagnostic equipment to fix it. Fuel systems, exhaust systems, monitoring systems, the list goes on all play into almost everything controlled by the computer now a days. So where do you start?

It is what we get for fuel efficiency, cleaner air, and safety.

It's not your model "T" 4 banger that could run on 1 cylinder without much problem anymore.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Alcoloco
It is what we get for fuel efficiency, cleaner air, and safety.
^^^ This. I completely agree, at least on the fuel efficiency and cleaner air parts as to why we have to put up with this. Now, for the 499,000 trucks they sell a year that are problem free, these computers are just an afterthought. However, I am not in the 499,000. I unfortunately have one of the 1000.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

My previous car was a Sonata turbo 2.0. Similar type of engine problem symptoms.
Any chance you are feeding the same fuel to both vehicles?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Check your spark plugs and if need be, adjust the gap to specs. This sounds like the same miss that many of us with the Eco had. Majority were fixed with gap alone (mine), some replaced the plugs.
The following users liked this post:
bryan8252 (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM

I only had the sonata a month when I noticed that issue and I bought it new. Don't think I screwed it up that quick. But I guess its possible.

Mostly buy my gas from Sheetz. 87 octane. Is their gas bad?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

The more I hear about these misfire issues, the more I think Ford got these ignition coils from China.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

I only had the sonata a month when I noticed that issue and I bought it new. Don't think I screwed it up that quick. But I guess its possible.

Mostly buy my gas from Sheetz. 87 octane. Is their gas bad?
Never heard of them. You might try a couple of tanks of top tier fuel. Like Chevron, Shell, or Exxon.

Last edited by scap99; 06-24-2013 at 05:57 PM.
bryan8252 (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

I hear ya, I think calling some of these guys mechanics is a huge compliment. They should just be called parts changers. To them no code means no fix. That computer they have allows them to look at all kinds of things, but unless that idiot light is on. Most won't take the time to do it. If you take it back have them check it under mode 6, it is a misfire diagnostic tool. Mine too has that misfire feeling sometimes. I'm going to pull the plugs here soon and check the gap.
bryan8252 (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by MadocHandyman
Check your spark plugs and if need be, adjust the gap to specs. This sounds like the same miss that many of us with the Eco had. Majority were fixed with gap alone (mine), some replaced the plugs.

I might be able to stumble upon the spark plug location. But after that, I wouldn't know the proverbial ***** from a hole in the ground.

Quick Reply: 5.0 troubles