Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

5.0 oil consumption rates?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.0 oil consumption rates?

I just check the oil in my 2011 5.0 4x4 screw and used a quart in roughly 4,100 miles. Not bad but not great. Is this what you guys are seeing too? Mine is at just over 36k miles. Mixed 50-50 city vs highway driving. Stock except for resonator delete.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

I know that Ford woud tell you "that's normal"......but that seems excessive for a new engine.
At this point, if I were you, I'd consider an independent compression check just to "check" what's up in each cylinder.....cheap insurance at this point.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by yzedf
I just check the oil in my 2011 5.0 4x4 screw and used a quart in roughly 4,100 miles. Not bad but not great. Is this what you guys are seeing too? Mine is at just over 36k miles. Mixed 50-50 city vs highway driving. Stock except for resonator delete.
I have no personal experiance with the new 5.0 engine but I have heard and read several complaints about oil consumption with these engines and how Ford says its normal. I personaly would find it unaceptable for any engine with that few miles to use any measureable amount of oil. I think your are just stuck with it as Ford or any other manufacture wont do any thing. you might consider trying a different brand of oil and see if it helps
Old 07-20-2012, 01:44 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

It can be the brand of oil, I work in heavy equipment and have ran into this several times on customers engines.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 156 Likes on 113 Posts

Using the Ford brand oil (syn blend) and dealer has done all oil changes. My truck has a little over 15k miles on it. It roughly is using about 1/2 to 3/4 quart every 5k miles. First oil change was at 5k and didn't even think of checking oil, its a brand new truck! When it was at 8k, I read here about the issue so went out to check mine. I was a quart low. Went to the dealer and bought 2 quarts to have a spare. Talked to the service dept and was told the same thing, this is normal. At 10k got another oil change. Shortly afterwards, I went on a two week vacation to Colorado and put on about 3500 miles. Checked my oil when I got back and it was a little less than a quart low. Added oil again.

After those first two changes, I plan on using the IOLM to let me know when to change oil which could be up to 10k miles. I will be checking my oil about 2-3 times in between.

Had a new Tundra and new Ram before this new Ford and haven't seen anything like this. Typically I don't see vehicles start using this much oil until they get past 100k miles.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:19 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Dealer doesn't usually use the bottled stuff, they buy from a local bulk distribution center which means they get some that "matches" spec.

I will say this. I have noticed in my job on cat engines, the cat oil, actual bottled oil, will consume some. On my work truck in 5000 miles I will lose nearly a gallon out of 7, on rotella or chevron delo it's only a quart or two. This truck idles a lot running the pto which contributes heavily. It's done it since new, about 260,000 now.

Quick Reply: 5.0 oil consumption rates?