Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

5.0 knocking and tapping causes and fixes

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 5.0 knocking and tapping causes and fixes

Hey guys. My 2012 with the 5.0 just started with the tap tap tap like knocking sound last week which has me extremely concerned. It is consistent and most easily heard at idle. I first noticed it last week when idling at a drive through window since it was warm enough to actually have the window down. It appears the be coming exclusively from the passenger side of the engine. This couldn't have come at a worst time since I just don't have time and my dealer is a 5 hour drive from me. Even worseI am leaving for a 4300 mile trip through very remote parts of the Alcan, Cassiar and Trans cAnada highway where a break down could be horrible since there are very long stretches without any phone service. Is there any agreement on what the cause and fix for this is yet? It sounds mysteriously similar to the tapping that I had on my Mercury Marauder that eventually forced me to ditch it off after I kept getting told it was normal. I have 5660 miles now.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 11' has started doing it to, mine is mostly on the drivers side tho, I have 40,000 on mine now, its not bad, but I know its there, sounds like a wrist pin to me, but who knows, makes me nervous tho, I dont like it..
Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know what you mean as any wired sounding noise is will do that. For me, I will also be driving a fully loaded trailer those 4300 miles across steep and curvy terrain. I may just break down and rent a satelite phone as a precaution for the trip since the engine will be working very hard during the trip. Last year when I made the trip in my Ecoboost Lincoln, there were times when I would go 3+ hours before seeing another car. There was also a full day where I virtually had no cell phone service around muncho lake.

As of right now, it is worst right after the engine idles down when first starting it and it starts slowing down after fast idling. Once it has been driven for a while, it gets quieter and turns into more of a consistent tapping than a knock. Until then though, it sounds metallic and increases with rpms when giving it throttle. It isn't as loud as some of the videos floating around though.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be a few things. Ive experienced similar sounds and have had a spark knock TSB performed as well as a timing tensioner TSB performed. Neither has resulted in a fix and I'm getting ready to take the truck back to the dealer for a timely visit to see if they can diagnose. I have a video of mine on the site. I have not seen a consistent fix pop up yet for this issue. Ive gone on a few road trips now without issue. I've got 38k miles on mine and it started way back at 3800, so nothing major has happened yet (fingers crossed).

Quick Reply: 5.0 knocking and tapping causes and fixes