Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

3.5L Ecoboost cylinder material

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5L Ecoboost cylinder material

Ok,

I am new to the truck world and I am really interested in learning about the new ecoboost engine before I buy a truck. I have come to realiz that the engine block and head is aluminum so my question is does the ecoboost use cylinder liners. My only knowledge on aluminum engines is that pressed-in cylinder liners were used to prevent premature wear and oil burning/leaking issues. I read dozens of articles on this engine but I can't find any information on whether or not this engine does use liners or maybe a special coating. Any input would be great and would help ease my apprehension.

Aaron
Old 08-04-2012, 11:06 AM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by taekat
Ok,

I am new to the truck world and I am really interested in learning about the new ecoboost engine before I buy a truck. I have come to realiz that the engine block and head is aluminum so my question is does the ecoboost use cylinder liners. My only knowledge on aluminum engines is that pressed-in cylinder liners were used to prevent premature wear and oil burning/leaking issues. I read dozens of articles on this engine but I can't find any information on whether or not this engine does use liners or maybe a special coating. Any input would be great and would help ease my apprehension.

Aaron
Aaron, from what I understand, all aluminum blocks (since the 1970s) must have liners (called sleeved cylinder walls). If you think about it, no amount of lubrication can keep aluminum from wearing, so there must be a hardened material separating the piston from the cylinder.

I had a 1976 Chevy Vega that had an aluminum block and cast-iron heads (just the opposite of every other engine at the time - cast iron block/aluminum heads). They did NOT have lined cylinder walls, and every Vega burned oil at 40,000-50,000 miles. Mine at 70,000 miles burned 1 quart of oil every 100 miles!
The following users liked this post:
taekat (08-05-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Race Red '12 XLT SCrew EB

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The cylinder walls are not sleeved in the traditional sense. Ford uses a process called Plasma Transferred Wire Arc Thermal Spraying to coat the cylinder walls instead of a pressed in sleeve.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2009...-20090529.html
The following 2 users liked this post by EBinMT:
Al Kohalic (08-04-2012), taekat (08-05-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Inebriated 4 ur safety

Received 894 Likes on 483 Posts

Thanks for the link EBinMT. That was a good read. I tried to get a better picture of the tear down they had on the torture videos, but this is all I was able to come up with. What ever they use, it still looks good after the all the hell and back crap they did to this engine.

3.5L Ecoboost cylinder material-129_1105_01_o-129_1105_march_2011_rpm_off_road_truck_news-ford_ecoboost_engine_tear_down.jpg
taekat (08-05-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A short video of the process:

http://www.flame-spray.com/images/Video/blockspray.flv

http://www.flame-spray.com/

Pretty cool. Another reason Ford is in the innovation lead.
taekat (08-05-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

So I guess not all Ford aluminum blocks are using this technology?

For example racers can buy the Coyote 5L V8 Al block but need to hone the bore for their pistons/rings. Does that mean a sleeve?

Or is the bore still honed/finished after this plasma process, rather than before?
taekat (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingement
A short video of the process:

http://www.flame-spray.com/images/Video/blockspray.flv

http://www.flame-spray.com/

Pretty cool. Another reason Ford is in the innovation lead.
Would you say that this is an improvement. I read about the fact that ford uses this technology on the Shelby GT500 but not on the 5.0L Coyote:

http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-...der-walls.html

Also, here is a quote about the Plasma technology in the GT500:

Ford released details on the new Shelby GT500 on Monday. The car will be sold in coupe and convertible body styles, going on sale this spring as part of the full 2011 Mustang line.

The use of aluminum for the block helps cut 102 pounds from the engine. Instead of cast-iron cylinder liners, Ford uses a process named Plasma Transferred Wire Arc to spray a thin coating of iron on the inside of the cylinder bores. The process, adapted from the aerospace industry, saves eight pounds compared with a traditional aluminum block with iron liners, Ford say

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz22g93u0ut
Overall would you say that this Plasma Transfer Wired Arc is better and more reliable?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by taekat
Overall would you say that this Plasma Transfer Wired Arc is better and more reliable?
More reliable? no. Less weight?, yes. Hard coating aluminum cylinders is not new. It can be as reliable but really not field serviceable without very specialized equipment. BMW once had problems with it and gas treatments. They were using nickel & silicon carbide.

You have only two choices in putting these coatings down....using a liquid (electroplating) or vapor (plasma). To make a plasma (high quality) you need a controlled environment (vacuum chamber), a transport gas, some plating material, and a source of high energy. Nothing is perfect and they will and do have pin-hole defects in them. Detection of these defects is impossible but fortunately they are small in number. Iron liners don't suffer from this.

Pretty cool technology and lots of BMW motorcycles using this have run hundreds of thousands of miles. They funny thing about these films is the notion of break in. They really don't wear quickly for ring seal in the traditional sense. For motorcycles I've messed with, some are tight and consume zero oil, other consume quite a bit, and this never changes with time.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssls6
...Hard coating aluminum cylinders is not new. ...
+1. Many people don't realize that dirt bikes, outboards, and chain saws have been doing this for decades. In fact, some small production 2-strokes actually hard-coat the aluminum piston and leave the bore bare aluminum.

The same debate is taking place around the new Yamaha 4.2 liter v6 4-stroke outboard. They got rid of the iron sleeves and hard coat the aluminum to save weight. Lots of folks are appalled by that because it's not easily repairable, not realizing that many 2-stroke outboards have been that way since the 80's.

Ford may have patented a new method or material, which isn't too surprising. In the industrial world, seems like every week a vendor comes around touting the benefits of some new hard-coating process or material.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssls6
More reliable? no. Less weight?, yes.

Pretty cool technology and lots of BMW motorcycles using this have run hundreds of thousands of miles. They funny thing about these films is the notion of break in. They really don't wear quickly for ring seal in the traditional sense. For motorcycles I've messed with, some are tight and consume zero oil, other consume quite a bit, and this never changes with time.
So far it seems to be reliable in the 3.5l. There have been more reports of 5.0's consuming oil than reports of EB's consuming oil.

Quick Reply: 3.5L Ecoboost cylinder material