Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

3.5 Cam chain stretch(cold start rattle)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3.5 Cam chain stretch(cold start rattle)

Ok so I have a 2013 FX4 with the 3.5 EB and I've started noticing this dreaded rattling noise upon cold startups. It doesn't always do it(not yet) and I'm not super concerned just yet. It's got a little over 51K miles on it and I've always babied this truck and never really hauled much with it. Not that this even really matters at this point, but I was just curious as to how long it will be before I have to actually "deal" with this problem and get the motor work done? I may check with a dealer even though I'm pretty sure it's futile. This is ridiculous that these "Torture Tested" engines are having these issues so early on, and I'm not really sure how common this problem is, but I have looked around the net a bit and noticed that it's at least somewhat common on these 3.5s. Does anyone have any good advice or helpful info on this issue? I'd really appreciate it...
Old 02-17-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my timing chains replaced at the dealer 110k miles. I noticed my mpg start to decrease in July my check engine light first came on in November. And recently I was dealing with a very delayed response from the turbos which made me bite the bullet and get it fixed. So I would say 5-10k miles but I’m sure it varies
Old 02-17-2019, 08:36 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Change to full synthetic oil and a quality filter (wix or motocraft). See if that helps.

There are guys who have thousands of miles on a rattling chain. It would drive me crazy but to each be his own.

Quick Reply: 3.5 Cam chain stretch(cold start rattle)