Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2014 STX randomly dead- where to start?

Old 08-23-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 336 Likes on 218 Posts

Default 2014 STX randomly dead- where to start?

2014 STX 3.7, haven't had any issues up until tonight. Truck was randomly dead, didn't hear the starter engage or anything. The speedometer and tachometer were violently vibrating, there was a clicking that wasn't the starter, and lights flashed for about 4 seconds. When I popped the hood (keys out of ignition) I could still hear something clicking every couple seconds.

I checked negative and it wasn't loose, tried to jump and it didn't do anything. Its important to note that the jump did let the interior lights come on when I opened the door, and the dash lit up, but the engine still wouldnt crank. It would just violently flutter and click. As soon as I took cables off, the truck was back to 100% dead with absolutely no lights coming on.

I do have a aftermarket sound system, but I'm not sure where to troubleshoot on that.

Also, near the positive terminal there are two fuses, one is 125 one is 250, I could be wrong. Tube style fuses right? I THINK the 125 is blown but I'm not sure. I have no idea how this all links together or what the best means of troubleshooting is.

Any help appreciated.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

That sounds like a dead (or at least under-voltage) battery. This is about the time of year they like to quit me.

I'm not familiar with the problem surrounding fuse 27 (or if it even affects the '14s), but you might look into it--there are several threads about it in the 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 section.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Def check fuse #27, see if it is burnt and/or blown. Fuse #27 under the hood at the front. It is a 20 amp yellow fuse (should be).
Old 09-17-2017, 08:14 PM

Received 336 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by SoonerLS
That sounds like a dead (or at least under-voltage) battery. This is about the time of year they like to quit me.

I'm not familiar with the problem surrounding fuse 27 (or if it even affects the '14s), but you might look into it--there are several threads about it in the 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 section.
Late update. I took it to store to get tested, first store just wanted to tell me their little machine says "replace battery" ... jeeze, thanks for the help!

Eventually got a reading, it was showing a good amount of volts but only 2-3 amps. Really confusing, battery is roughly 2 years old, I do have a sub/amp so I'm not sure if it has been killing the battery faster?

We hooked up jumper cables and the truck wouldn't even begin to turn.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:59 AM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

As has been noted elsewhere, batteries are a crapshoot--some will make it seven (or more) years, while some won't even make it one year.

If you have another battery you can hook up directly (i.e, not using jumper cables), try that. The battery is critical to the operation of these modern electronic monsters, so you need a good one, especially for starting.

Search this Thread