Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2013 Ecoboost Temporary Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2013 Ecoboost Temporary Loss of Power

Hey,

I have a 2013 F150 with a 3.5 Ecoboost. I was pulling my 16' aluminum boat on a two lane road and pulled out to pass another truck. I stomped on the accelerator and the motor lost power. I limped back into my lane and noticed the engine light blinking. If I had to describe it, it seemed like the motor was running in some sort of "limp mode."

After about a minute or so, I let up on the accelerator and the light stopped blinking where the motor began to run normally. Although I only "stomped" on accelerator once since I had the issue, I haven't had the problem since.

I did not bring the truck in for service..Any thoughts what this could be and any suggestions would be appreciated. The truck has 44k on it..

Tx,

448AA
Old 08-12-2017, 12:19 AM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Replace the spark plugs.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:25 AM

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by 448AA
Hey,

I have a 2013 F150 with a 3.5 Ecoboost. I was pulling my 16' aluminum boat on a two lane road and pulled out to pass another truck. I stomped on the accelerator and the motor lost power. I limped back into my lane and noticed the engine light blinking. If I had to describe it, it seemed like the motor was running in some sort of "limp mode."

After about a minute or so, I let up on the accelerator and the light stopped blinking where the motor began to run normally. Although I only "stomped" on accelerator once since I had the issue, I haven't had the problem since.

I did not bring the truck in for service..Any thoughts what this could be and any suggestions would be appreciated. The truck has 44k on it..

Tx,

448AA
Search the forum. Very well documented issue. Weep hole and new plugs/boots gapped to .030"
Old 08-12-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply and info!
Old 08-12-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue on mine recently. Although the CEL was not on, I scanned it and it had a pending code that showed a misfire on cylinder 3. Might be worth it for you to do the same to see. There have been issues with coil packs also. I went to one of the local parts sores here in my town to do that. Some let you scan your vehicle in their lot.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:47 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Very common.

New SP534's gapped to .030 & Drill the weep hole
Old 08-13-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar story here.
About 2 weeks ago, went into limp mode ( yellow wrench displayed) making a rt hand turn and trying to accelerate. Had zero power. Pulled over, restarted, wrench gone, no CEL. A week and a half later this has happened about 4 more times, sometimes while accelerating other times while driving steady. Now have CEL on. Engine runs rough when Wrench is displayed.

2013 EB, 67,000 miles. Recently had new plugs about a month before any issues. had injectors cleaned. In retrospect, engine had a slightly rough idle before plugs replaced. Seemed smoother after that.

Trying to get into the dealer to see what they say.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Packmule
Similar story here.
About 2 weeks ago, went into limp mode ( yellow wrench displayed) making a rt hand turn and trying to accelerate. Had zero power. Pulled over, restarted, wrench gone, no CEL. A week and a half later this has happened about 4 more times, sometimes while accelerating other times while driving steady. Now have CEL on. Engine runs rough when Wrench is displayed.

2013 EB, 67,000 miles. Recently had new plugs about a month before any issues. had injectors cleaned. In retrospect, engine had a slightly rough idle before plugs replaced. Seemed smoother after that.

Trying to get into the dealer to see what they say.

Yours sounds like the throttle body needs to be replaced. Seems to be common.