Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2013 Ecoboost disappoints vs. 2011 Ecoboost :HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 2013 Ecoboost disappoints vs. 2011 Ecoboost :HELP

I have a 2013 FX4 SuperCrew 6.5 box. I had the identical truck as a 2011 until I got t-boned and wrote it off. Exact same trucks, max tow.
My issues summarized :
1)Fuel economy is down. Both empty and towing, all weather conditions. 1-2 mpg (US) in city and highway, and more towing.
2)Power is down. 2011 kicks it's a** hard. I have test drives that I compare all my vehicles to, this truck shifts down more and has trouble maintaining speed on hills vs. 2011. Towing is horrible. It's like it had no torque low and mid range, shifts down, sucks fuel and gun it to pass or up hills it has no pull. Same double lane hill with sand trailer and load it pulls 20 mph less than the 2011 did. There is no way this truck can keep up to a Hemi, my 2011 ate them. It feels like my 2011 did in very hot weather with 87 octane (but still less power) which was instantly cured by putting 91 in for got towing.
I have already been using 91 in the 2013 for towing and no luck, it's still a dog. Off the line is pathetic too, unless I am empty and cold then the truck rips like it should.
Winter driving it goes great, but still uses more fuel.
3)Shifting, always pulling lower gears and more revs than the 2011, may be related to more fuel use. I realize shift patterns have changed but this feels like partial tow/haul mode. I would prefer something more relaxed when driving empty and putting around. I don't like the low gear touchy throttle feel and how the instant fuel consumption gauge soars with the slightest feather touch of the pedal. The 2011 was much more progressive and easier to accelerate economically.
4)Air conditioning sucks. I am taking it in for a check. It's pathetic compared to the 2011 and every other vehicles we own.
So I'm looking for suggestions to gain back what I lost.
I want to use 87 fuel, tow my 8000 travel trailer, and hopefully gain back that 1—2 mpg across the board I have lost.
I will make a second post now with some ideas that I would like info on.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Every review says the 13/14 Ecoboost will still outpace the (much overrated) Hemi with the 6 speed and the Hemi with the 8 speed is neck and neck...

Sounds like something definitely is going on with your boost. Perhaps a loose hose or messed up sensor? I know one of our members had a loose CAC line that caused him similar symptoms.

Can you hook up an OBD2 reader and an app like Torque Pro for Android and see what's going on?

Or if you're under warranty have the dealer take a crack at it. Definitely push the issue if they say all is OK. Ask for their "black box" to gather data for diagnosis. It definitely should not be as you describe.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:16 PM

1)Fuel economy, maybe it will come back if power and shifting is improved.
2)Power : the truck runs perfect and smooth. It had tons of power in winter. The loss of power issue is magnified greatly with warm (not hot) weather towing even on 91 octane.
This is pointing my suspicions to the 2013 intercooler, which I have removed all baffles and deflectors from for max cooling.
If the truck is heat-soaked and towing it must be retarding power from hot intake air. Feels like it's down 75 hp towing. If I come to a light while towing and floor it it takes off like it has no turbos, slow, flat sound, no surge of power in any rev range, and can't spin a tire or induce tow shudder.
The same setup my 2011 would squak or spin the tires, induce axle wrap shudder, take off like a bat out of heck and only at half throttle. Always!
So aftermarket intercooler anyone?
What have you got and what did it do?
I remember one post a while ago that showed before and after temperatures during a pull.
3)Shifting : Tuner? What ones have the capability for the user to adjust shift characteristics, run good and safe with 87 towing, with a potential power and economy increase (at least enough to be as good as stock potential) and tire size programmer.
So perhaps an intercooler and tuner.
Anything else?
Please let me know what you think meets my requirements. I'm starting to look for a purchase.
Believe it or not my wife who knows nothing about vehicles can sit in the passenger seat while we tow and notices the difference. She told me to go get another truck.
The 2011 was my first ever Ford. I loved it. They are losing me quickly with this one, because I've had a taste of a good Ecoboost and this one isn't up to par.

Last edited by dcfluid; 07-19-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by itguy08
Every review says the 13/14 Ecoboost will still outpace the (much overrated) Hemi with the 6 speed and the Hemi with the 8 speed is neck and neck...

Sounds like something definitely is going on with your boost. Perhaps a loose hose or messed up sensor? I know one of our members had a loose CAC line that caused him similar symptoms.

Can you hook up an OBD2 reader and an app like Torque Pro for Android and see what's going on?

Or if you're under warranty have the dealer take a crack at it. Definitely push the issue if they say all is OK. Ask for their "black box" to gather data for diagnosis. It definitely should not be as you describe.
I read those reviews and was thrilled to get a 2013 under replacement insurance, not so anymore...
I read about the loose CAC hoses and will check them, but I've yet to take it to a dealer for anyone to touch it so that would have to be a factory error instead of a tech installing a TSB.
I think a OBD2 reader is in my very near future. I resisted tuning and such on the 2011 because it was so awesome and once I start tinkering I get obsessed and can't leave well enough alone. A reader may give me too many ideas....
My service manager is getting the shop foreman to give me a call to check it out. I was even going to give it to him with the trailer on so he can heat soak it up some hills. Hotter the weather the better.
Cold and wet here today, I think I will pull the trailer up the test hill again to compare.
They said they will monitor and record to see what's up, and they are friends of the family so I should get the full treatment.
However when I mentioned the power drop and economy in the 2013 I got the sad nod and confirmation that they have been hearing a lot of this issue.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Here's the thread on loose hoses:

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/those-...st-tsb-261104/

Hope that helps!

Glad to see they are going to bat for you.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:50 PM
none.

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

The '13, while rated at the same power as the previous models, has larger turbos. 51mm vs 48mm

If everything checks out at the dealership with the hard parts, ask for a reflash. IIRC, the latest TSB regarding the splash shield on the CAC also has a PCM reflash.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
The '13, while rated at the same power as the previous models, has larger turbos. 51mm vs 48mm

If everything checks out at the dealership with the hard parts, ask for a reflash. IIRC, the latest TSB regarding the splash shield on the CAC also has a PCM reflash.
Thought of that and will quiz my guys on it when I take it in. Seems mixed results on this forum though.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

After Ford installed the new IC in my 2011 is when I noticed a huge drop in power while towing. I tried plugs and a tuner and it made it feel better, but I could tell it still was not right. Especially towing...hills where it wouldn't downshift before, it would hit 5th and sometimes even 4th.

My tuner sent me several revisions and each felt a little better but could still tell it just wasn't right. Drilled the hole in the IC as well, oil and water came out.

I ended up finding that one of the hoses going to the IC was loose. I got that fixed and it made the truck about 90% better, but still not what I would call 100%. But it towed good again.

Couple nights ago I pulled the MAP sensor on the manifold and cleaned.

Last night i put in another new set of plugs. I discovered(not sure how long for) that the boot on one of the coils was folded underneath itself. Also almost every terminal on the Brisk plugs were loose. Truck did feel a little better and idled better...but I think I still have some small issues holding the truck back a bit.

I am going to put some miles on it...but leaning towards purchasing an AFE intercooler as my next fix. I also would be tempted to switch out coils since I have put a lot of miles on questionable plugs...but have kind of been waiting for a good aftermarket option but there really hasn't been anything released.

If its a very drastic difference like mine was, I would guess its not from the IC itself and that you have another issue such as loose hoses, bad coil or plug, etc. Problem is, my truck never threw any codes which I do not understand. If the turbo is making a certain amount of boost and by the time it goes through the IC and into the manifold and there is a substantial drop...I would expect some sort of code to be thrown. Not in my truck. Not from the boost leak not when I ingested water not when spark was getting blown out going up hills. Ford would not let the dealer touch my truck I've had to try and figure all this out on my own. Really does make me wonder if early TSB's dumbed down the MIL's.
The following users liked this post:
itguy08 (07-19-2014)
Old 07-19-2014, 01:53 PM

MDT, I read your woes and glad your making progress.
I will be checking some of the issues you found but I am thinking I may have something different going on, related to programming and CAC efficiency.
I feel this because the truck will run as good as it gets in cold weather empty. Hard to keep winter tires on it with the touchy throttle and power it puts out. Come summer it seems tamer empty, and when towing it falls flat as it gets everything up to temps.
In the next hour I will hook up my trailer and give it a cold pull in cool temps. See what the difference is.
Exact same setup and fuel in tank as last weekends towing disappointment.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Read the sticky on the A/C it may help. Mine is very cold if I am on the interstate or highways but it could be better around town.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ecoboost disappoints vs. 2011 Ecoboost :HELP