Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2013 5.0 Oil Leak after 1700+ miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2013 5.0 Oil Leak after 1700+ miles

This is an odd situation, but the second time this has happened. I changed the oil last year using a Fram oil filter (kind with that no slip stuff on the end) and full synthetic, and it's all good and fine, and then all of a sudden, after over 1900 miles, it leaks (while in Vegas).. and it does not get better if you tighten the filter. it got worse in 2 days to the point it was dripping. Got the oil changed at a grease monkey, and it held just fine until next oil change. They checked it for double gasket, and not an issue.

Enter next oil change by me, same oil, same oil filter, and here we go again, after 1700 miles, it's leaking now (not a drop for 1700).

This is not my first rodeo.. I've probably done about 50 oil changes over my lifetime dating back to when I owned a 69 Mustang. Never had an issue like this.

Any thoughts on why all of a sudden it would start leaking after over 1700/1900 miles? The filter is not loose - I can't hand tighten it any tighter.

I'm open that I'm doing something wrong (have no idea what)...help.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:15 AM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

You might want to try a different filter if the filter the shop used worked fine and the last two Fram filters you used started leaking. If you ask around you'll find not many people working in the automotive industry recommend Fram, they tend to be among the cheapest options and you get what you pay for. There are plenty of videos online showing the cheap materials and construction methods used in comparison to their competitors.

I've also seen issues where the guy opening the box of filters nicked several of the gaskets with the blade he used to cut the box open. Make sure you're carefully inspecting the rubber gasket on each filter, and make sure you lubricate the gasket before tightening the filter.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:34 AM

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Motorcraft oil & filter is the Best way IMO. Designed by Ford for Fords as far as i know. I have never had said problem and i always use Motorcraft.

Walmart for best Motorcraft oil & filter prices.

I did one time get a bad filter from Fram on my 96 T-Bird. I only used Fram on that car bc of the grippy coating on the end, as it was very dificult to get an oil wrench on the filter due to location. That bad filter let me know it was bad before it got out of the garage. Earl was blowing out everywhere on the first engine start.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Arrow

Regarding FRAM oil filters ...
  • Their anti-drainback and pressure relief valve is a source of dry start-ups and resulting knock.
  • Several auto manufacturers have TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) regarding -NOT- using them. *especially for warranty after engine failure from their use.
Oil Filter Cut-Away Comparison ллл -click-

Motorcraft versus ...
  • Pennzoil
  • FRAM
  • BOSCH
  • Champ
  • AC-DELCO
  • Valvoline
  • STP
  • Mighty
  • ProLine
  • Fleetguard
  • Mobil 1
  • K&N
  • WIX
  • Pro-Tec
  • NAPA Gold
  • CarQuest
  • MotorTrend
Old 09-05-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

^^^ interesting read
Old 09-05-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
  • Their anti-drainback and pressure relief valve is a source of dry start-ups and resulting knock.
  • Several auto manufacturers have TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) regarding -NOT- using them. *especially for warranty after engine failure from their use.

Motorcraft versus ...
  • Pennzoil
  • FRAM
  • BOSCH
  • Champ
  • AC-DELCO
  • Valvoline
  • STP
  • Mighty
  • ProLine
  • Fleetguard
  • Mobil 1
  • K&N
  • WIX
  • Pro-Tec
  • NAPA Gold
  • CarQuest
  • MotorTrend
Thanks! Fram is history for me.. we'll see if that makes a difference!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
  • Several auto manufacturers have TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) regarding -NOT- using them. *especially for warranty after engine failure from their use

Motorcraft versus ...
  • Pennzoil
  • FRAM
  • BOSCH
  • Champ
  • AC-DELCO
  • Valvoline
  • STP
  • Mighty
  • ProLine
  • Fleetguard
  • Mobil 1
  • K&N
  • WIX
  • Pro-Tec
  • NAPA Gold
  • CarQuest
  • MotorTrend
True Story
That is not the first time ive heard this.