Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2012 f150 5.0 tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2012 f150 5.0 tranny issue

Two weeks ago my truck started acting like it was misfiring. It would fall flat on its face taking off in first gear. I made a left turn and the truck didn't go anywhere once it was in the middle of the intersection. I almost got hit by a car. Leaving a parking space the truck wouldn't go anywhere. I gave it full throttle but its would just crawl like a snail. turned right at a stop sign and my truck ran 1st gear out till it shifted to 3rd. I kept driving it around, come to find out it was going from 1st gear to 5th gear, then back to first, then to second. I called the dealership and they had me bring my truck in immediately b/c they haven't seen that problem for a 5.0 yet. When i arrived i was taking off in first gear the truck went straight to 5th while pulling in to the service writers. I held my foot on the brake and let the technician see what it was doing. I put it in neutral then back in drive and it went from 5th to 2nd then back to 5th. So i put in park and they took to back to work on it. They advised me a new tune for the transmission came out and that it fixed the problem. Since i have gotten it back it has driven fine. I think i am going to see if i can buy an extend drive train warranty up to 100,000 miles. I love my truck but am kinda unsure about how much technology these trucks have. The mechanic told me it records the shifting patterns and he could see when it shifted all around when i drove it. Just a heads up for some of you guys if you have a similar problem.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:49 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

Check out TSB 13-02-03 attached. It is specifically for the "straight to 5th gear" shifts. It's a hardware repair, not a reflash.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tsb13-02-03.pdf (46.3 KB, 506 views)
Old 05-29-2013, 05:09 PM

Appreciate that. hopefully thats what they did. Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 PM

UPDATE:
My truck broke down in North Carolina coming back from New York city. Driving along the interstate the wrench gauge popped up on the screen, then the speedometer, mileage to E, and MPG all went away and was left with dashes. My truck wouldn't shift out of 5th gear. I pulled over, restarted truck and everything started working again. Driving along about 30 miles down the road the truck did the same exact thing. I pulled over restarted truck, but engine light stayed on. PUlling back onto the interstate i felt as if i was driving a honda civic. The truck was sooooo slowwwww. I pulled up a ford dealership on my gps near by. I get there and it was overgrown with weeds and all run down. Just my luck. So i found another Ford dealership down the road. My truck was like a snail but it made it. Got into service department and they scanned my vin. No TSB code came up for my truck. so i showed the guy the link FORD850 gave me. A mechanic scanned the truck and the codes for the TSB matched. No certified transmission mechanic was there and they didn't have the part to fix. So i called the dealership i originally took my truck too 2 weeks ago and asked them why they didn't fix the TSB that ford put out. They said "they test drove truck and they could not reenact the problem i was having". Originally two weeks ago i took the truck in b/c it would go from 1st gear to 5th gear. It actually did that when i pulled in. So that should have been good enough for them to fix that part the TSB stated. They decided not too b/c they said when they scanned my VIN no TSB came up. So I relayed all this to the service writer. He explained to me how ford works for warranty's. A mechanic has to test drive the vehicle and the problem occur when they are driving it. That way when they fix the problem they can say it is fixed correctly. So if it doesn't do what you say it does when they take a short test drive your SOL until your stranded some where. I had no choice but to leave at the dealership in NC. So i asked about ford getting me a rental car, and i was advised i didn't buy that coverage. So now i had to rent a car $407.00 later and drive all the way back to Clemson SC to drop a coworker off at my house, then drive to charleston for a flight on monday to Wisconsin. The ford dealership says they should have it done for me by wednesday (fingers crossed). I fly back into Charleston wednesday, drive back to my house in clemson, then the next morning turn around and drive all they way to greensboro NC. So after gas, rental car, time away, and headaches im completely just at a loss of words. I can't even begin to get angry b/c i feel like there will be no justice. Its kinda like, that sucks. I would say the worst part of the whole ordeal was my friend drives a chevy silverado and he was with me. I had to listen to him make fun of my truck for 150 miles. Good news is that when i dropped him off his truck battery was dead, so he had to ask me for a ride in my rental to get a new battery. Talk about a long day. Hopefully this won't happen to any of you.

Last edited by dirtman; 06-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
11EB (01-08-2016)
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

After posting that PDF for you, I realized they came out with an updated one. Here's a link to the 'stamped' original with the superseded TSB number (13-4-9)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-02-03.pdf
I don't know what the newer TSB says though.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that this might be the new one, TSB 13-6-8:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-06-08.pdf

I just got my 2012 5.0L truck back from the dealer. Problem was not quite like yours (no light displays though TSB says possibility exists). They replaced Connector part AL3Z-7G276-A. With 29k miles, mine was in warranty.
11EB (01-08-2016)
Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 PM

I'm fairly new and haven't posted much here. I have a 2011 F150 XLT w/ the 5.0 I bought it in July with 95K on it. I knew it was having transmission problems. 3 weeks ago I carried it in to Ford dealer and they told me the transmission needed to be flashed. Cost $110. Yesterday, turns out that on leaving my driveway, it went straight to 5th gear. I drove about 3 miles to the dealership where they hooked it up on there computer. I never cycled the key, so the codes were there. They called today and informed me of the TSB you guys described here. The service manager advised me that the repair will cost right at $700. I really hope this resolves my issues with the transmission and and possibly this will help someone else.
11EB (01-08-2016)
Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Rok

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

You shouldn't be paying for a TSB! That's BS. Call ford customer care if they are charging you
Old 08-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by ddt111
I'm fairly new and haven't posted much here. I have a 2011 F150 XLT w/ the 5.0 I bought it in July with 95K on it. I knew it was having transmission problems. 3 weeks ago I carried it in to Ford dealer and they told me the transmission needed to be flashed. Cost $110. Yesterday, turns out that on leaving my driveway, it went straight to 5th gear...
Hi, ddt111.

I'd like to see how I can help! Will you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Ashley
Old 08-29-2013, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rok
You shouldn't be paying for a TSB! That's BS. Call ford customer care if they are charging you
I will definitely check into that. Thanks for the heads up. I got my truck back today. I really hope it is fixed.

Quick Reply: 2012 f150 5.0 tranny issue