Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2012 F150 5.0 P0161 O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 2, Sensor 2)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 F150 5.0 P0161 O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 2, Sensor 2)

I have a 2012 F150 King Ranch super crew with a 5.0 I affectionately refer to as "The Money Pit". In 2017 I had to install a brand spankin' new engine and passenger side exhaust manifold. After only about 20K miles on the new motor, I was getting a series of check engine codes (P2196, P2198, P1450) and the low fuel light would go on even with 3/4 a tank. The dealership replaced a valve assembly and that cleared up those problems. They also did some recall work and reprogrammed the PCM.

After about a week or two, I started getting a P0161 O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 2, Sensor 2) code. I went to NAPA and purchased a Bosch 02 sensor and had that replaced. After a day or two, same code on the check engine light. I took it to a different mechanic and the replaced the Bosch 02 sensor with a Motorcraft version. Two days later, the same code is back. The most recent mechanic says they did a check of the wiring and it is all well, so I'm almost to the point of just paying another $2K and having the driver's side exhaust replaced. I mean, in reality, "the money pit" may be a 2012, but it is like a new vehicle.

The vehicle runs great, I get between 14 and 16 MPG and aside from the fact that I feel like I've paid for it twice, it is a great truck. The one mechanic told me that Ford's are finicky and I should just ignore the 02 sensor light since it runs great.

Does anyone have any ideas short of replacing the rest of the vehicle around the new motor or selling the damn thing? Would I be wasting my money if I did a Throttle Body service and fuel injection flush?
Old 04-23-2019, 12:41 AM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

Bank 2 sensor 2 should be the down-stream O2 sensor. That usually means a bad sensor (which you already replaced ...twice) or a bad cat.

Throw a set of these in and see if the code comes back.

https://www.spdperformance.com/index...roduct_id=1615
Old 04-23-2019, 06:13 AM

Thanks for that. I'll grab a set of those and give it a shot. I've seen extenders like these in the past for spark-plugs, just not sure what the science is behind it.

Interestingly, and I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I rested the check engine light, I can usually predict when the light is going to come back on. It coincides with a quick accelleration similar to when you punch it to pass someone going to slow in the left lane. After a while, the check engine light will go off (in most cases) after driving for ten or twenty miles. Very frustrating, but I'll give those Defoulers a shot.

Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Blown F-150 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

Makes sense if you have a under performing cat. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Just as a follow-up for others that may have this problem. I did install the defouler and within a day, the Check Engine light came back on. So my only thought is that I must have a bad catalytic converter. So, is it possible to just go to a muffler shop and have them replace just the cat without having to replace the entire manifold on back? Or am I just wasting money by not doing the whole system?

Or, should I just live with the stupid check engine light? I can easily reset it every few days, but it is an irritant, for sure.

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 5.0 P0161 O2 Heater Circuit (Bank 2, Sensor 2)