Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2012 F150 5.0 crew 4x4 low speed surging

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 F150 5.0 crew 4x4 low speed surging

Has anyone heard of this issue or a fix to it? When in a parking lot mostly (I guess cause barely on the throttle opposed to leaving a light) when I pull out of a parking spot or ease away from a stop sign the truck will start to kind of surge and quite violentlly at times until I get off of the accelerator completely and start again. And all of this happens with minimal throttle from 1-15 mph. Thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 PM

It has happened to me only a handful of times. I would like to know how common this is as well and what kind of fix there is for it?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM

A coworker of mine purchased a 2012 screw 2wd and has the same issue intermittently as well. Can't really find much that sounds like this issue online.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck does this as well. I plan on taking it to the dealer. It seems to happen when the truck is warm and has been sitting for about 45 minutes or so. An example would be drive to lunch, eat and come back out - buckin' bronco time.
The following users liked this post:
rtran (09-25-2013)
Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I know this is a problem that needs solving but buckin bronco time?! lol that made me laugh bro
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

I seem to remember a TSB for that somewhere on here. Never had the problem myself, nor does anyone I know. I think it was just a reflash.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2012 F150, Screw, 4x4, 5.0L and 20 rims. I get a little shutter around 15 - 20 miles. The Ford dealer told me it was the 20 rims with Pirelli tires causing the problem and no way of fixing it unless I want to purchase new tires.

The dealer said it will get better as the tires ages! I will have to wait and see.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have read on a different forum that people have discovered that the initial timing is -9degrees instead of being +10 or so. This has been done by ford to enable the cats to hear up sooner for emission reasons. This also explains why it goes away almost instantly if you punch it while it is stuttering.
Mine does it too but after reading this I have accepted it as normal rather than spend costly hours at the dealer to tell me the same thing, that is if they ever figure it out on there own.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPCharmin
I know this is a problem that needs solving but buckin bronco time?! lol that made me laugh bro
Maybe not quite that bad, but it's enough to be annoyed at. Goes away the second you let off the throttle.

Originally Posted by SA73
I have read on a different forum that people have discovered that the initial timing is -9degrees instead of being +10 or so. This has been done by ford to enable the cats to hear up sooner for emission reasons. This also explains why it goes away almost instantly if you punch it while it is stuttering.
Mine does it too but after reading this I have accepted it as normal rather than spend costly hours at the dealer to tell me the same thing, that is if they ever figure it out on there own.
Could be possible, but I'm not totally convinced. It doesn't do it in the mornings. Only after I've driven the truck then let it sit for a spell. The cats should be warm enough at that point. My dealer is two blocks from my work, so it isn't that big of a deal to let them have a look. Besides, I want to point out a few other things.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Unit 91
Maybe not quite that bad, but it's enough to be annoyed at. Goes away the second you let off the throttle.

Could be possible, but I'm not totally convinced. It doesn't do it in the mornings. Only after I've driven the truck then let it sit for a spell. The cats should be warm enough at that point. My dealer is two blocks from my work, so it isn't that big of a deal to let them have a look. Besides, I want to point out a few other things.
I know mine is the same, loves to do it after stoping at the first site of the morning. Mabey the reasoning is not correct, but this guy took screen shots of his Sct tuner and it definitely showed the retarded timing. Hey good luck I hope you get an answer, drives me nuts too. And the US dealers are way ahead of the Canadian ones because of the volume they deal with. I have often shown dealers here stuff they didn't know but was proven in the US market.

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 5.0 crew 4x4 low speed surging