Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2012 F-150 ,5.0 ,Poo12 ,Poo14 , noisy right hand head

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default 2012 F-150 ,5.0 ,Poo12 ,Poo14 , noisy right hand head

Hello all , here is my experience and fix by FORD to my intermittent Poo12 and Poo14 problem on '12 F-150 XLT 5.0.
Long story so please bear with me.
I bought this truck used with 47,000 miles on it. Beautiful truck , looks like new , even still smells like new inside. Traded in my 05 F150 and got a decent deal. Two months down the road I started to notice the truck seemed to run one of three ways. It would either run just ok , kind of blah, or it would run like a raped ape , or it felt like I was towing my house behind me , lacking power and sounding like a huge 4 barrel under the hood.
When it would have no power I would shut the truck off , then restart it and it would be fine.
So the symptoms are
1: severe lack of power
2: intermittent, shut it off, then restart and ok
These two things are very important to what is causing the problem.
So I take the truck to the dealer while it was running like crap.
They hook it up and see pending Poo12 , Poo14.
Bank 1 intake cam was retarded -20 degrees.
Phaser would not move when commanded .
Covered under power train warranty they changed everything under the timing cover on the right side. Ran great for a week. Then back to its old self again.
Now I'm getting worried. Ran a car fax on it and found out it was owned by Ford dealer since new. And a kind soul on here ran an oasis report for me which I found out it had the Ti-VCT solenoids changed twice before I got it.
So, , timing chains replaced, phasers,ect.
I take it back second time. This time dealer contacts Ford hotline and they say replace the right head assembly. The base engine oil pressure was good , but oil pressure at the head was bad. They claimed blocked oil passage in the head. I'm thinking it's not a 5.4 with a dirty engine , 5.0 is totally different. And had proof the oil had been changed every 5,000 miles. But ok , keep shooting it with the parts gun, it's Ford's money.
I get the truck back after a couple days and man was that engine quieter . Thinking it must have been it. Till a few days later.
Yep, you guessed it, right back to its old self.
Take it back in , this time they changed the cam sensors, and was ok , not quite right but better.
That lasted three days and it does it again, this time with a check engine light.
Take it back again. They contact the hot line again . Ford tells them pull the new head again. This time they tell them that at the factory some head gaskets were not stamped completely and the hole for the oil passage on the right head wasn't completely punched through leaving a button that would intermittently block oil flow to the right head.
So they did , and lo and behold, they were right. In the oil passage in the block was a small button. What was happening is it would sometimes block oil flow to head. Shut it off, the button would fall and everything worked right till it raised up the passage again and block it off.
Makes sense why the timing chains were stretched, head was noisy.
I have it back now and it has been great. At least all the damage it caused has been fixed. Engine is quieter, runs smoother, and performs much better.
Now I'm not saying this is the cure for every Poo12 code. But if yours is intermittent, right head is noisy , then I would say yes , you have the same problem. I hope this helps , any questions just ask and I'll do my best to answer them.
The following 2 users liked this post by koja7296:
BRUTE448 (08-10-2016), Koolponycar (08-11-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Nice congrats! It's puzzling how they can figure something like that out but on other issues they have their heads in the sand
Old 08-10-2016, 02:48 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Thank you, i see this being very helpful to folks in the future as the 11-14 5.0 used markets get bigger and bigger

Last edited by BRUTE448; 08-13-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:51 PM

I'm thinking about getting a tuner now that it's fixed. Miss the way it ran when it was screwed up . It was scary fast when it was screwing up . Like I said it ran one of three ways. Like a dog , or like a raped ape , or just ok. Now that it's fixed , it's just ok. Now that I know what is capable of I really miss the ***** it had then.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone else having this same problem? My 2013 5.0 with 43 k miles keeps throwing the CEL ran the scanner same codes., clear the codes then some 20 miles later back again.. Mine does show severe lack of power but no noisy right head... Any input appreciated
thanks.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by ERod4x4
Anyone else having this same problem? My 2013 5.0 with 43 k miles keeps throwing the CEL ran the scanner same codes., clear the codes then some 20 miles later back again.. Mine does show severe lack of power but no noisy right head... Any input appreciated
thanks.
If the head isn't noisy that's a good thing. Means it hasn't damaged it yet, but it will.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

koolponycar send me this thread. Some similarities, but I don't experience anything different with the truck while driving it. It still feels the same with the code. But I am also tuned and have 4.11 gears since it started.

Working on taking it in. Just need a convenient day.

Here is the thread I originally made and updated many times.
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/code-p0012-299960/
Old 10-24-2016, 04:05 PM

Dropped mine off today. They're going to keep it overnight and run it with an oil pressure monitor tomorrow to start. They have a ticket in with "the hotline."
Old 10-25-2016, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by SteveLord
Dropped mine off today. They're going to keep it overnight and run it with an oil pressure monitor tomorrow to start. They have a ticket in with "the hotline."
Hope they find it for you. Strange problem but can do alot of damage.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:05 PM

I am not sure. Mine doesn't feel any different with the code. Can still punch it when needed. Only a few times it seemed to come up while shifting. Other times it just lit up randomly while driving at a constant speed.

Quick Reply: 2012 F-150 ,5.0 ,Poo12 ,Poo14 , noisy right hand head