Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2012 Ecoboost knocking

Old 02-16-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2012 Ecoboost knocking

I have a 2012 Ecoboost, I seem to have a knocking when i accelerate slowly, especially while going up in terrain. Any idea? I kinda thought it was my intake at first or something. I'm not sure when it started, or if its always been there, doh! Originial owner, 38,000 miles
Old 02-16-2015, 03:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you record a video and attach it for us.

Does it knock at idle?
Can you hear it if you get out of the truck?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

If it's spark knock (pinging), take it in to the dealer. My Taurus had a bum knock sensor and it did the ping dance some times and under different loads. Had it replaced at 32k and it has not been an issue since.

From what I remember, it was a fairly involved procedure so best to let Ford pay for it.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

Are you tuned? If so remove the tune immediately and contact your tuner.

Everything above is good info but I also want to add the possibility of bad gas. Try a different gas station and try 91 or higher octane. There have been a couple trucks that have developed a ping on stock and went away when they tried a different fuel, seems to be some bad gas going around.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:04 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

You're all full of great suggestions! Thanks.

Originally Posted by JBaker
I have a 2012 Ecoboost, I seem to have a knocking when i accelerate slowly, especially while going up in terrain. Any idea? I kinda thought it was my intake at first or something. I'm not sure when it started, or if its always been there, doh! Originial owner, 38,000 miles
I'm here to help, JBaker! Have you been to the dealer for this yet? If not, I suggest using this tool to schedule an upcoming appointment for diagnosis. Then, send me a private message with your full name, VIN, servicing dealership/appointment information, and best daytime contact number. I'll loop in your regional customer service manager for further assistance.

Brittany
Old 02-18-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to record it today, but of course it didn't make any noise. I will try again in the next few days when I drive it again (I have a work truck, and it's not from sitting cause I just got the work truck less than a week ago).

It's really hard to describe, it doesn't happen when I get on the gas, or cruising. It only seems to happen at slower speeds and at lower RPM. I will try all of the advice you all have given And update with a video.

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Ecoboost knocking