Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 Loud Fan - 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts
Default 2011 Loud Fan - 5.0

I've done some searching, and found a lot about 13/14 F150's and the fan logic Ford says is normal. Anyone know if a software flash would help?

The fan ramps up to high speed, loud as sin, off and on. Only had it since November and it would kick on/off in the cold of winter when sitting at an idle, thought it was odd and annoying.

Could it be possible the freon level isn't right? AC blows cold, but something with the pressures could be kicking it on and off?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

check your coolant level
Old 05-21-2017, 11:28 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

X2 coolant
Old 06-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem with my 2011 Fan

I found this on youtube and it worked for my truck. I don't have the fan blowing on high any more.

I bought it on Carparts.com. You will want to make sure you have the right module depending on if your have a dual climate or not.

http://www.carparts.com/results/?Ntt...ype=global&N=0
Old 06-16-2017, 11:20 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Many of these trucks, both 5.0 and EB since they have the same coolant tank, develop a leak in the tank itself or at the clip that holds the hose to the tank. It oftentimes is slow enough that you don't notice it or even smell it. Then eventually it gets low enough that the fans have to work much harder to keep it cool. Thankfully the tank is the highest point in the system so the overall level can't really get dangerously too low, but it can get low enough to make the fans work harder, especially this time of year.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:36 AM

I've done the Pegasus kit already. Is there a level sensor in the tank somewhere that it references?
Old 06-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by lutter5-0
I've done the Pegasus kit already. Is there a level sensor in the tank somewhere that it references?
I don't think there is a sensor unless it is on the bottom and you can't see it from above. Does the Pegasus kit keep the overflow filled to where it should be? A number of people who have had the cracks in the tanks themselves don't know it because of how slow it is, but if you already have the kit, then you are probably a step ahead of them.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Moss1979
I found this on youtube and it worked for my truck. I don't have the fan blowing on high any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUhKC1eVtSM

I bought it on Carparts.com. You will want to make sure you have the right module depending on if your have a dual climate or not.

http://www.carparts.com/results/?Ntt...ype=global&N=0
Wrong issue.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by lutter5-0
I've done some searching, and found a lot about 13/14 F150's and the fan logic Ford says is normal. Anyone know if a software flash would help?

The fan ramps up to high speed, loud as sin, off and on. Only had it since November and it would kick on/off in the cold of winter when sitting at an idle, thought it was odd and annoying.

Could it be possible the freon level isn't right? AC blows cold, but something with the pressures could be kicking it on and off?
I believe from previous discussions, the PCM flash was recommended and was standard on 13's.

If yours is activating during the winter, was this in defrost mode when the compressor kicks on? I dont ever recall my fans on at anytime during the winter.

When my 13 had the fans on all the time, the dealer replaced a relay and the fan assembly.

When you say they ramp to high on and off, is this repeatedly or do they ramp down to low speed for a while then back up?

Have you cleaned the radiator and condenser by spraying dirt off?? After cleaning you could have the system evacuated and recharged to specs. Has your truck been or does it qualify for the reflash?
Old 06-17-2017, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
I believe from previous discussions, the PCM flash was recommended and was standard on 13's.

If yours is activating during the winter, was this in defrost mode when the compressor kicks on? I dont ever recall my fans on at anytime during the winter.

When my 13 had the fans on all the time, the dealer replaced a relay and the fan assembly.

When you say they ramp to high on and off, is this repeatedly or do they ramp down to low speed for a while then back up?

Have you cleaned the radiator and condenser by spraying dirt off?? After cleaning you could have the system evacuated and recharged to specs. Has your truck been or does it qualify for the reflash?
I thought about the defrost/ac being on, and shut it off, that didn't seem to cure anything. It's pretty cyclical, ramp up to high for 30 seconds, low for a minute, back to high, back to low.

Nothing looked dirty around the radiator/condenser, but I'll take a look closer.