Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 ecoboost performance and mileage questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2011 ecoboost performance and mileage questions

Hey everyone let me start off saying I love this truck. But...as many people all over the fabulous interweb are stating . My mileage like everyone's is no where near what ford has claimed or advertised. The truck is a 2011ecoboost lariat super crew 5.5ft box towing package and 4x4. Truck has 26000 km on it now.

So I'm wondering what kind of mileage gains if any your all seeing from intake kits and or exhaust. I know the injen intake is looking to be one of the more popular kits around. I've run afe , air raid , k&n kits in the past with good gains both on mileage and power.

Open to any suggestions and just trying to figure my plan of attack.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would check out the SEARCH function. This has been BEAT to death!! I picked up maybe a half MPG with exhaust and intake.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by KDGRfm
Hey everyone let me start off saying I love this truck. But...as many people all over the fabulous interweb are stating . My mileage like everyone's is no where near what ford has claimed or advertised. The truck is a 2011ecoboost lariat super crew 5.5ft box towing package and 4x4. Truck has 26000 km on it now.

So I'm wondering what kind of mileage gains if any your all seeing from intake kits and or exhaust. I know the injen intake is looking to be one of the more popular kits around. I've run afe , air raid , k&n kits in the past with good gains both on mileage and power.

Open to any suggestions and just trying to figure my plan of attack.
1st slow down 2nd stop demoing your power to your self or your friends the EB is very sensitive to throttle input 3rd I have several decades of experiance driving. racing and wrenching on turbo charged engines both diesel and gas includeing aircraft engines. I know this will stir up a hornets nest but with the EB engine you will gain nothing but noise with a CAI or exhaust system up grades you will probably get an onslought of dyno charts and owner feed back just keep in mind dyno runs are by people wanting to sell you something and owner feed back is from people wanting to justify there purchase also look at the posts to sell these parts used. You have an amazing truck drive it and enjoy
Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
1st slow down 2nd stop demoing your power to your self or your friends the EB is very sensitive to throttle input 3rd I have several decades of experiance driving. racing and wrenching on turbo charged engines both diesel and gas includeing aircraft engines. I know this will stir up a hornets nest but with the EB engine you will gain nothing but noise with a CAI or exhaust system up grades you will probably get an onslought of dyno charts and owner feed back just keep in mind dyno runs are by people wanting to sell you something and owner feed back is from people wanting to justify there purchase also look at the posts to sell these parts used. You have an amazing truck drive it and enjoy
I picked up 7HP with the CAI and 30 combined with the exhaust. All dynoed on the same day...not much in the mileage department.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 69428SCJ
I picked up 7HP with the CAI and 30 combined with the exhaust. All dynoed on the same day...not much in the mileage department.
For Me Im Happy with the power and performance of the truck. Coming from my last 2 vehicles it blows them away. But thats why i bought it. My Mileage is in the ****ter tho and the dealership here hasnt been able to give me any insight to why. I get that i will never see the numbers advertised by Ford. But i do some what expect to see them some where in the same ball park.
11MPG / 21L/100km over last 8-10 tanks to me seems wrong seeing most people pulling 15-18MPG. I Drive the truck for a living , im a contractor so Gas expense is all out of pocket so if i can gain a bit of Mileage for a reasonable investment i would deffinatly try it.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 PM

The CAI and exhaust are going to run you 700.00. You can buy a lot of gas for that. I have not seen much mileage difference. You guys up North are running crappy gas this time of year and are in really cold weather...both killing your mileage.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 69428SCJ
The CAI and exhaust are going to run you 700.00. You can buy a lot of gas for that. I have not seen much mileage difference. You guys up North are running crappy gas this time of year and are in really cold weather...both killing your mileage.
Im not going to argue that i can buy 7 tanks for 700 bucks. As for the gas i honestly couldn't tell you what were getting up here. But as far as the weather goes. This winter has been warmer then any i can remember in the last 8 years. We were +8 today i haven't even kicked the truck into 4x4 this winter roads have been dry. I do thank you for your input on the CAI and exhaust.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

.5 mpg from AFE intake. I replaced the resonator with 3" pipe from flange to muffler . We'll see if that small increase in pipe size does anything for performance or mileage. I'm one of the EB owners that gets 18 @ 70 not 20+.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

It's likely your driving style. I avg 15-20 city/hwy -same truck
Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
It's likely your driving style. I avg 15-20 city/hwy -same truck

So what you're saying is your cruise control has a better driving style than mine. If the road is flat and my cruise is set at 70 then why don't I get 20 mpg? You may say wind but the probability of me driving into the wind on every road trip is slim. Bottom line is the AFE intake got me .5. That's what the OP is asking.

Quick Reply: 2011 ecoboost performance and mileage questions