Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 Ecoboost; anyone else have a burning plastic smell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 AM
Eco-5.0-Eco again

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 2011 Ecoboost; anyone else have a burning plastic smell?

Just curious to see if anyone else is experiencing a buring plastic smell after normal driving? It seems to be happening when it is hot outside 90 degrees plus. I've inspected the truck each time I smell the burning plastic but have not located it...after 3 weeks of owning the truck, all residual labels/protective wax should have been burned off by now (1800 miles).

Is there something I'm missing?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueFlameMetallicFX4
Just curious to see if anyone else is experiencing a buring plastic smell after normal driving? It seems to be happening when it is hot outside 90 degrees plus. I've inspected the truck each time I smell the burning plastic but have not located it...after 3 weeks of owning the truck, all residual labels/protective wax should have been burned off by now (1800 miles).

I have the same thing, not a pleasant smell, it seems to come through air vents and lasts about a minute, I thought at first it was when I was kicking the gas hard, some days I don't smell anything and others I get a dose of it quite regularly, I can't figure it out!
I hoped it was some paint burning off a shield but I now have 10000 miles on it and it is still giving a whiff!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Eco-5.0-Eco again

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The only thing I can think of (experience wise) is maybe faulty wiring to the ac/blower, it seems to happen when the blower is on 3 or 4. I hope this isn't the case, I went through this on my Crown Vic and Mustang!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a 11' 5.0L with 7500km and after a hard drive around town it has a similar smell outside the truck, not inside. cant figure it out.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 PM

I had the same thing for about 3k miles only after "i gave her hell" before arriving home.
The smell lasts about 1 minute and disappear. Temps were above 90 deg outside and city driving.
Inspected everything and found nothing burnt...
Super hot now in So Flo no smells for a while.
Towed boat on freeway friday (4000 lbs), 72 to 75 mph, no smell noticed. Temps were above 90 deg.

BTW, I got 16.7 mpg towing boat. Includes time at the ramp loading unloading, traffic jam for a good 10 minutes.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

When my 2010 was new, it had a slight electrical odor at times.

After sitting a while when you get that first whiff of AC air right after you start the truck. It has dissappeared after almost 1 year and 8000 miles.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:02 PM

My EB has not produced This type of odor (yet). I have experienced this type is phenomenon with other new trucks. I've had two sierra's bought new that both did this. Seemed to come right out of the air vents. Never had any electrical problems down the road. I wonder what really causes it?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM

Mine has 5k on it,every now and then I have a smell thru the vents.Cant find any problems check every thing.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Troll Hater

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There have been some other threads on this.
It is normal new smell.
Plastic burning kind.
It will go away by 1k-1.5k miles.
Mind did the same thing.
Lots of hot parts with stickers I suppose...
Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In have the same kind of smell from the day I drove it off the lot and still get it time to time I was thinking it may have been the undercoating but I'm not really sure

Quick Reply: 2011 Ecoboost; anyone else have a burning plastic smell?