Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 EB running rough, really need help, don't want to have to go to dealer

Old 06-17-2016, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 EB running rough, really need help, don't want to have to go to dealer

Hey folks, really need some troubleshooting help/advice from EB owners or anyone who may know what to do. I have always done my own maintenance or vehicles but maybe I am over my head on this one.

I have a 2011 EB that over the years has exhibited the commonly reported problem with condensation in the CAC. It was never real bad, only losing power a couple of times a year when I was going through the mountains in WA state. It wasn't until recently that I came here an read all about the problems others were having and took some action. About 5 months ago, after a particularly bad trip from WA to MN, I drilled a 1/16th" hole in the CAC as many have. I also replaced the plugs (SP534) at the same time. Problem appeared to be solved. Now, recently I have noticed some hesitation (what I would classify as a slight stumble/miss) when going about 50 to 60 up a hill. Other symptoms, the truck runs rougher than normal on cold start, and has a very acrid odor from the exhaust with what I would say is excessive carbon (and smells really rich). Mileage has also dropped about 1mpg.
Now the bad part, I thought I had bought a 6/72 extended warrantee when I bought the truck but when I called the dealer yesterday, I found out it was only a 5/60 and, of course, that expired 5/30/2016 - about 2 weeks ago.
So I am looking for advice/troubleshooting help. I am worried about the CATs but don't really know what I should be looking for. I have the torque app and have checked O2 sensors...but don't know what I should be seeing there. I am at a loss, have an appointment at the dealer next Thursday but really loathe going there.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Sounds like plugs again, I would pull make sure none are cracked. What did you gap them to? Replace coil boots. Pack dielectric grease in the connection. Clean map sensor.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:12 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I wonder if you fried the catalytic converter with all the problems with condensation you had.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
Sounds like plugs again, I would pull make sure none are cracked. What did you gap them to? Replace coil boots. Pack dielectric grease in the connection. Clean map sensor.

I am on my second set of plugs in the last 3 month with the most recent being 2 weeks ago. Almost 100% positive it is not the plugs. The first set I gapped to .028 but I thought that may have been what was causing the hesitation and bought a new set and left them gapped to the .031-.032 that the SP534s are out of the box. When I replaced the first set I replaced the boots and used an average coat of dielectric grease inside the boot. Reused those boots as they were only 3 months old on the second set of plugs. Maybe I will pull them tomorrow and see if one of the springs isn't messed up? Although I think that would indicate a misfire in Torque.

Torque app mode 6 data shows only 1 or 2 misfires during a 30 mile trip. Not the 1000s it would take for this rough of a run...so I am leaning against COP. Although I do wonder how accurate the Torque app is. Tomorrow I will pull the plugs for a third time and check the springs and boots again.

Didn't even consider cleaning the MAP sensors but I see a write-up on it in the forum. Thanks for the tip...will be doing that tomorrow morning.

Last edited by travisty357; 06-18-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tothemax
I wonder if you fried the catalytic converter with all the problems with condensation you had.

That is what I am most worried about and why I am trying to get O2 readings. Crawled under there today because I had to do an oil change anyway and the sensors were all tight and everything "looked" good. With the rotten egg acrid smell and carbon in the exhaust, I am thinking maybe the CAT did get damaged on this last trip when it went into limp mode twice.

Anyone with the torque app want to tell me what your O2 sensor readouts look like. I see there are 4 sensors under the truck but torque only gets readouts from bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2. I am assuming those are the left and right ones in the CAT itself.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:29 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

I believe that's correct. I spend a lot of time trying to make sense of the readings and never could. Then the truck threw an o2 sensor code. I then made an exhaust back pressure tester to get readings to see if the cats were clogged but could never really find specific figures regarding what psi the exhaust should normally have. I have decided some day I will just ream out the cats or go to a carless exhaust, because I feel like they are causing an issue
Old 06-21-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With your description, you most definitely have melted cats and fouled o2 sensors. If you let the misfire condition go all this time, you have definitely cooked the diwnstream components- catalytic converters and o2 sensors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 EB running rough, really need help, don't want to have to go to dealer