Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 5.0 blue smoke on startup

Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2011 5.0 blue smoke on startup

Yesterday morning I started up my 2011 5.0 and got a fairly large puff of blue smoke. It was for sure oil smoke as I could smell it. The truck had been driven the day before. On startup this morning the issue did not repeat.

I had this happen from time to time on my 2006 5.4 and didn't really worry about it too much. However, it bothers me more on my 2011 that has only about 9000 miles on it.

I checked the oil, and I am down a bit. The oil level was almost down to the bottom of the cross hatches. It has been right at 4000 miles since my last oil changed. I checked the oil maybe 1000 miles ago, and it was in the middle of the cross hatches (IIRC). I typically check my oil at every fill up, but reaching this dipstick is a total PITA, so I sometimes miss (won't be any longer). I am going to top the oil off this afternoon and see if the issue continues.

For more info, I didn't have to add any during my first oil cycle. I had the oil changed at the dealer right at 5000 miles, and the oil was between the cross hashes. When the change was complete, it was at the top of the hashes. Now about 4000 miles later it is at the bottom. Hmmmmmm....not looking good.

Has anyone seen this happen on their 5.0 yet? And if so, did anyone take it in to the dealer and ask/complain? If it is like my 2006, I will never be able to get it to do it consistently. Hopefully I will get lucky and be able to get a video grab of the smoke to show the dealer.

I will mention it to the dealer next time I am near there, but unless I can get a repeat performance, I will just have to monitor oil usage and see if I can get enough evidence to proceed to the dealer on.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 AM
McPhail131

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Dont know about the 5.0. but my dads new (2010) ranger 4.0 does it randomly aswell. it didnt burn any oil on first cycle. but little here and there after that. only has 22000km on it now and stil does it a bit. dealer said not to worry about it??
Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if it were my truck it would be going right to the dealership. 9000 miles and already smoking oil.... not good.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I bet it is coming from your PCV system. This thread may help https://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0l-o...ch-can-112117/
Old 04-16-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by BenJAMO
if it were my truck it would be going right to the dealership. 9000 miles and already smoking oil.... not good.
Over the years I have learned (the hard way) that I need to document, document, document these issues. This is the first time it happened. What I plan on doing is keep an eye on oil consumption, and then at each and every cold startup for the next few weeks I am going to use my phone to grab a video clip of the exhaust pipe. First time I have it on camera, I'm heading to the dealer.

I will call this week and report the "anomaly". I actually have two servicing dealers, one is conveniently located, and the other seems to listen more to their customers. I will be calling the one who "listens". They may surprise me and already have an idea.

Regardless, it will get to the dealer, eventually.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by BeerCan
I bet it is coming from your PCV system. This thread may help https://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0l-o...ch-can-112117/
Yeah...that thought crossed my mind as well. I may go ahead and throw a catch can on the truck. I have avoided this so far as I don't really want to create any possible warranty issues. I find it irritating that we may have to make a modification such as this, but from what I see from other members here (and on the mustang forums) this may be a good one to make.

I haven't read through the entire thread yet (again), but it looks like most people are only putting a can on the passenger side. I guess the driver side isn't as much of a concern due to the way the system is routed. I hate doing things halfway, and I have considered cans on both sides as well. Guess I have something to think about.

I am going to pull my pvc lines tonight and see if there is any oil in them. I am willing to bet there is. Thanks for the reminder about this thread.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bskouby
Over the years I have learned (the hard way) that I need to document, document, document these issues. This is the first time it happened. What I plan on doing is keep an eye on oil consumption, and then at each and every cold startup for the next few weeks I am going to use my phone to grab a video clip of the exhaust pipe. First time I have it on camera, I'm heading to the dealer.

I will call this week and report the "anomaly". I actually have two servicing dealers, one is conveniently located, and the other seems to listen more to their customers. I will be calling the one who "listens". They may surprise me and already have an idea.

Regardless, it will get to the dealer, eventually.
This ^^^
Im horrible at keeping documents and it always bites me in the ***. Are you sure it was blue? Cataletic converters creat moisture especially cold and smoke what is mostly steam with c02 mixed in. Sorta blueish. Hopefully its not a ringland or something but i havnt heard of any issues with any of these new motors come to think of it. On thing we used to do on our subarus which had a ringland failure issue on a few years is open the oil filler cap while running. If it smokes out of there you have a problem. If just oil splashes up occasionally ur good. Similar problem with oil consumption and blue smoke. Not sure if that even works on these though just a shot
Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Leadsled124
This ^^^
Im horrible at keeping documents and it always bites me in the ***. Are you sure it was blue? Cataletic converters creat moisture especially cold and smoke what is mostly steam with c02 mixed in. Sorta blueish. Hopefully its not a ringland or something but i havnt heard of any issues with any of these new motors come to think of it. On thing we used to do on our subarus which had a ringland failure issue on a few years is open the oil filler cap while running. If it smokes out of there you have a problem. If just oil splashes up occasionally ur good. Similar problem with oil consumption and blue smoke. Not sure if that even works on these though just a shot
Oh yeah....it was blue. I have a 2 stroke lawnboy....so I know all about blue oil smoke!

I had the windows down when I started up the truck and the smoke drifted in. It was for sure an oil smell as well as blue haze. I have noticed heavy "not blue" condensate in the mornings, although my 2006 5.4L was pretty much the same in that respect.

I am leaning towards the PVC issue that other's have noted. I think I am going to catch can this bad boy and see what I can come up with.

As long as I don't pop a piston like someone on here did, I'll be good.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Brianm825

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

The catch can probaly isn't a bad idea. I'm noticing quite a bit of soot build up on my tail pipes now that I have a pair of shiney polished duals on there. As for the dual catch cans, if you get a chance to read through the entire thread you'll see that a few guys did both sides and found almost (maybe literally) no blow-by on the driver's side. The concensus was that the driver's side is not at all necessary.

Duals installed...
https://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0l-o...8/#post1270508

Results a few days later...
https://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0l-o...9/#post1296099
Old 04-16-2012, 04:04 PM
2011 FX2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0-oi...mption-119894/

This will shed some insight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 blue smoke on startup