Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 3.5L XLT: Trouble Maintaining Speed while in 6th

Old 04-16-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 3.5L XLT: Trouble Maintaining Speed while in 6th

I figured I would post about this as I have no idea how to solve this issue.

A little background on the truck: It’s a 2011 3.5 Screw XLT with almost 187k on it, I bought it just under 170k and had issues at 180k. I’ve replaced the coils, spark plugs, the right side turbo inlet pipe, cleaned the MAF/MAP sensors, drilled the CAC hole, and changed to an AFE intake.

Current CELs:

P0016: Two weeks ago it threw, I’m trying to get information from Rbrown on the kit on that
P0299: I thought it was the inlet pipe, but I changed that last week and it still came back
P0430: RH cat is out, going to replace both CATs

But my current issue I don’t think is code related as it only happens when I am cruising, straight line or up a slight incline (nothing very steep). I will have the cruise set at 79 on the highway and to pass a car in a straight line or to go up a slight incline it’ll shift down into 5th then into 4th and drop to 75 or so and try to catch back up to 79 then shift back into 6th once it’s there. The strange thing is I can park the truck, turn it off, clear the codes if they popped back up, and then drive the same stretch of road the same day 20 minutes later after lunch and it stays in 6th at 79 the whole time no issues regardless of passing or the slight incline.

I have videos of it doing it while the cruise is set at 50 and 79, and then a video of it acting perfect while driving back from lunch after sitting and clearing the CELs.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I’m leaning towards electrical as it doesn’t do it every time but I’m unsure. *(I’ll add the videos after work as my work computer doesn’t want to select the files)*

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 3.5L XLT: Trouble Maintaining Speed while in 6th