Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

13 FX4, basic questions for the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 13 FX4, basic questions for the 5.0

Hello my fellow Fordies;

So, I'm really enjoying the '13 FX4 with the 'yote. I have added the JLT oil separator and just had my 1st LOF- Mobil 1 with M1 filter. 5W-20...I've always used Lucas for dry-start protection 48k miles, want this girl to run 300k...

Lucas- Yes/No?
KN- already installed
Next is tune-

Best/Worst Brand/Tunes?

TIA!
Old 09-11-2017, 12:33 AM

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by steverinaz
Hello my fellow Fordies;

So, I'm really enjoying the '13 FX4 with the 'yote. I have added the JLT oil separator and just had my 1st LOF- Mobil 1 with M1 filter. 5W-20...I've always used Lucas for dry-start protection 48k miles, want this girl to run 300k...

Lucas- Yes/No?
KN- already installed
Next is tune-

Best/Worst Brand/Tunes?

TIA!
I have not used Lucas in any of my Coyotes as none of them have enough miles on them yet.

I did run lucas oil additive in my 2004 expedition with 5.4L after 100,000 miles on the Odometer. I added Lucas at every 7,500 mile oil change with motorcraft oil and filter.
She ran like a top with almost zero oil consumption between oil changes. 298,000 miles on the clock and still only used half a quart of oil between oil changes. I have to say the constant use of Lucas probably helped keep her tight as new.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:35 AM

I forgot to add, i took the air filter out of the air box at 130,000 miles and never put it back in. LMAO! I wouldnt recommend that.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you really do want that truck to run 300k, dont tune it. Although that factory tune leaves power on the table, it has the best safeguards against premature wear and tear.
The following users liked this post:
Tyler L (10-08-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by ArcticFordTech
If you really do want that truck to run 300k, dont tune it. Although that factory tune leaves power on the table, it has the best safeguards against premature wear and tear.
I believe the "safeguards" you are referring to are the torque limiters. This should not effect the engine performance, only the wear on the trans and drivetrain if the driver constantly is hammering on the gas off the line.

The biggest thing the tune does on the TIVCT engines is, retimes the cam phasers to allow the cams to keep the exhaust valves open at an optimal time to get rid of all the "EGR" gasses from the combustion chamber after a fire. This allows more room for clean fresh air and fuel to be added in place of that "EGR" gas that is inert(non combustable). The only negative effects from this will be slightly higher combustion temps as "EGR" gas acts as a cooling agent. The truck already has some of this programmed in from the factory as a "cold" engine will almost not even start or run with EGR gas in the combustion chambers. The truck essentially runs with a very similar tune for the first minute while its still "cold". All the custom tunes are doing is making the truck run like its in cold startup mode all the time with a more aggressive fuel tabling to accommodate the larger charge of clean air.

R2D2 told me this while we were filling the flux capacitors.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by steverinaz
Hello my fellow Fordies;

Lucas- Yes/No?
KN- already installed
Next is tune-

Best/Worst Brand/Tunes?

TIA!

Lucas: No

KN: can get oil onto sensors and cause issues. Consensus on several sites is that a regular paper filter does a better job of filtration.

Tune: Don't know I'm happy with the stock performance. I have heard nothing but good about 5 star.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

I recommend tuning from MPT. Top notch customer service. Power delivery and shifting strategies are very smooth. Honestly feels how the truck should have come from the factory.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:04 AM

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

KN is junk. Are you going to be racing your truck? If you want it to last, I'd skip the tune. Mine is all stock and it made it to 375k. The 5.0 is the best engine to come out of Ford!

Attachment 568187