Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

'12 EcoBoost Cold Start Noise

Old 01-01-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '12 EcoBoost Cold Start Noise

I've made a video so I don't have to explain the noise it's making.

It just started recently. Truck has about 135,000 miles on it. Temperature was about 30˚ F when I took this video, and it only happens when the truck is cold soaked. Doesn't sound like any of the timing chain rattle noises. Dealership current has the truck as they're fixing a coolant leak and the electronic vacuum pump extended warranty issue. They're also looking at the noise but have only been able to hear it once, just waiting for them to start it up tomorrow morning.

It'll go away after about 5 minutes of driving/warm up.

Then it won't do it the rest of the day.

Running the normal semi synthetic Ford motorcraft oil. Considering switching to something that's fully synthetic now (Mobil 1 is my choice, but I also want to try AMSOIL)

Truck doesn't have any mods done to it. No CEL's or anything of that nature.

Anyone have an idea of what this noise is? I've tried searching for other videos but I can't find anything that sounds like mine.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:35 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

What noise were you trying to film in the video? It almost sounds like there a couple, like a high pitched belt noise, and an air sucking sound. What are you hearing? Videos are always tough
Old 01-03-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
What noise were you trying to film in the video? It almost sounds like there a couple, like a high pitched belt noise, and an air sucking sound. What are you hearing? Videos are always tough
It's the ticking noise.

Someone on another forum said it might be an exhaust leak, as they can go away once the truck warms up. I listened to some videos earlier and it sounds close to that. Will update.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:19 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Exhaust leak would be my guess.

Search this Thread