Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

'11 Eco Bad Vacuum pump behind headlight???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '11 Eco Bad Vacuum pump behind headlight???

Hi folks,

I have a 2011 Eco crew I bought new 18 months ago. Truck now has 22k miles on it. Since about 18k miles I've had a loud screeching, nails on a chalk board sound coming from the drivers side fender. After some research, turns out to be the vac assit pump for the brakes. Anyone have an audio clip of a normal pump? I know mine doesnt sound right, its very loud and sounds aweful. Starting up my truck in a parking lots usually gets a few looks b/c of the noise. Its been to the dealer once already, I dont think they understood what noise I was talking about but blew me off and said it was normal. Def not normal. I made an appt at another dealer and will have the service manager listen to it with me before I drop it off.

I'm just wondering if I am the only one with a very noisey pump? I've search all over the internet including youtube but cant seem to find the same auidible noise. Most sound like a faint Brrrrrrr noise like it should. Any feedback would be great.

Thank you!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my 11 ecoscew i had this same problem... took it in once and they told me it was my ballast for my HIDS. fail... but i was like whatever and took the truck home...so later that winter i was having problems with the 4x4 system and the front hubs werent locking in... turns out that same pump controls the 4x4 also... told my dealership that the truck was already there for this problem but nothing was resolved... This time i took the truck in and they resolved it to be that vac pump... i wasnt going to be allowed to take the truck home tho bc they said it wasnt going to be safe for me to drive.. they told me it would be atleast a week bc the pump was on backorder.. so we arent the only ones with this problem.. So i traded the truck in on brand new FX4..
Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 PM

Interesting. Mine is going in tomorrow morning to get looked at. I started up my rig the other day getting ready to leave the office and one of my co-workers asked what was wrong with it. lol I pulled out the headlight and ran the truck last night- REALLY loud without the headlight blocking the sound, it sounds like the bearings are being ground into dust. Will keep you posted on what they say!

Old 06-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing. Took it to dealer and they weren't sure and thought it was normal for a bit until I said it's been getting worse and never did it until 6 months ago. Told them what I thought it was and they said "no, it can't be that" 15 minutes later they said "it's the vacuum pump" oh really....apparently they take 2 weeks to get so I'm driving around with the noise for now. Apparently it's still safe to drive..... not to sure. First the turbo, now this. Whats the lemon law again?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 PM

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

interesting, mine started making a squealing sound a few weeks back, but it only does it first thing in the morning on start up. Same place behind front drivers headlight
Old 06-04-2013, 09:14 PM

So went into another dealer today. Tech listened to it for the 5-10 sec it made the noise on start up. He laughed a little and said that's NOT normal. You guessed it- the pump I'd on national back order. They found one in the mid west and are over nighting it. Told them to keep the rig till its fixed. Wouldn't you know my LIVERNOIS tuner came today too. Guess my truck will have to wait a few more days to see the 93v2 tune.....
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck has been doing the same thing. It only seems to do it in the morning or after it has set for a long time. It only last about a minute too. What does the vacuum pump control?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there is a reason they changed the pump design for 2013, I believe its driven off of the camshaft much like older diesels
Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 PM

Stang- The pump provides vacuum for the 4x4 system as well as the brakes.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 AM

Just an update, still waiting on the part to arrive at the dealer.. They said it would be there next day- that was on Tuesday......

Quick Reply: '11 Eco Bad Vacuum pump behind headlight???